G5 Club banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I already did...New Rad, thermostat and water pump
Check that all the air baffles are installes around the rad. These are rubber-like flaps. If missing, obtain replacements from dealership parts or a scrapper or try rockauto.com

How are the upper and lower rad hose? If very soft or collapsing, replace them. This likely was done when the rad was replaced, and sould have been if you did the other components you mention.

It's not unusual to go up to 100 or 105C in traffic or at standstill in driveway. But should steadily drop back to 85 to 90C range when moving at highway speed or if A/C is turned on and rad fan cycles on. Temp control circuit should kick on rad fan by time your guage reads 110C. Is your rad fan operating by 110C? If not, have it serviced.

What is Oil Life Meter at? Some owners have reported increased operating temp when OLM is around 30% remaining or less. Increase should only be a few degrees though. How is condition of oil or filter? If filter clogged or major sludge issues, may have poor oil flow and increased friction and heat load on oil starved engine. That's a worst case scenario, but gets you thinking of other areas to look into.

In winter, car may take longer to warm up but thermostat should still regulate temp to similar 85 to 90C range. Check serpentine drive belt for wear or poor tensioning.

/BTV

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi y'all, new member here. Been reading on the G5 temperature/coolant/radiator/fan etc... because my Daughter called me up and said her temperature light came on today. It wasn't terribly warm today, 23C or so but she did say she was in heavy traffic, stop and go until she reached the highway and everything seemed fine, temp light turned off. However, I tested the car and when the fan turns on it does make a lot of noise so I'm thinking just to play it safe, to replace the thermostat (must be old) and fan assembly. I've been looking for any information on replacing the fan but I've not found any detailed how-to's or perhaps I'm getting blind heh. It looks pretty straight forward but if someone on this thread have any additional information or can point me in the right direction that would be of great help. My Daughter's G5 is a 2007, 2.2L, 72,000KM. Many thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
i hope someone can help too - mine has 154000 and it normally stays about 192f but sitting and no matter warm or cold goes up t0 208 and above - over heated once last year - coolant level is good - what else can i check
and of course just put about $400 in it for other shit

·
Registered
18 Posts
i hope someone can help too - mine has 154000 and it normally stays about 192f but sitting and no matter warm or cold goes up t0 208 and above - over heated once last year - coolant level is good - what else can i check
and of course just put about $400 in it for other shit
Hoping this helps you. Does your fan turn on like it should? Turns out that the fuses and 1 relay needed to be changed. The relay controls the fan's high and lo setting. It turned on at high heat but didn't at lower heat. Changed the relay and a few blown fuses and everything worked fine. I still want to replace her fan assembly because it is quite loud. Check your fuses and relay in the engine compartment. Let me know

·
Registered
14 Posts
will check fuses - by chance know which ones those are? the fan i know does run but doesnt seem like at the right times - sounds weird to say even LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are 4 relays for the fan operation if you have A/C in your car. You'll have to check them all and look for burnt fuses in that control box. Hope the picture link works

that pic may not be the best one. Give me an email I can send you one of the actual components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks so much for the help
have done so much and really like the car but if i have to do more i might push it off a f--ing cliff

catalytic converter
control arms
wheels repacked
o2 sensors
mass airflow sensors
need tires and a new windshield
AHHHHHHH

·
Registered
14 Posts
BIG tahnks

i have to say a BIG thank you for telling me where to check for that fuse - I was thinking it was a major problem and it turned out to be a $5.00 fuse - TOTALLY made my year
thanks again guys BIG HELP!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad it worked out. Had to change a 30 amp fuse myself just last week in my daughter's G5. Check Engine light came on and code checker gave me a P0480, Cooling Fan 1. Changed the fuse and "Done".

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
i have to say a BIG thank you for telling me where to check for that fuse - I was thinking it was a major problem and it turned out to be a $5.00 fuse - TOTALLY made my year
thanks again guys BIG HELP!
I replaced the fan on my GT, easy job for a Saturday mechanic. Only caveat is remember to support the radiator -- which is very simple. There's detailed information somewhere in here about my adventure, and important pictures to note. http://www.g5club.net/showthread.php?t=26058

·
Registered
14 Posts
control arms and tie rods

OK i have a new one - i just spend about $3000 on my car on catalytic converter and then control arms and tie rods and alignment and some other stuff
still has the same problem it seems
went back and now they are telling me it is the steering column problem and something about having to be tightened i dont know i think i blacked out from rage :(
anyone else have this problem OR is this common/
thanks guys!
DB

·
#low
1,537 Posts
My steering column has play.

What year is your car? Catalytic converter is covered under warranty for 8 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
OK i have a new one - i just spend about $3000 on my car on catalytic converter and then control arms and tie rods and alignment and some other stuff
still has the same problem it seems
went back and now they are telling me it is the steering column problem and something about having to be tightened i dont know i think i blacked out from rage :(
anyone else have this problem OR is this common/
thanks guys!
DB
There is so much going on in this thread I'm not sure exactly what problem you are talking about now. Can you explain again what the problem is with your steering column?

·
Registered
14 Posts
all the other probs were fixed

i have a 2007 and everything has been done that i have talked about and NOW they are telling me it is the steering column is bad
YES they should have told me about that and checked it and I am NOT happy about it

thanks for all the help

sucks about the catalytic converter now :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
all the other probs were fixed

i have a 2007 and everything has been done that i have talked about and NOW they are telling me it is the steering column is bad
YES they should have told me about that and checked it and I am NOT happy about it

thanks for all the help

sucks about the catalytic converter now :(
But based on what? Is this following your mechanic's inspection or is this because you told him/her that you were experiencing some issues while driving? I'm sure someone here could provide you with some very valuable help and perhaps save you some $$$. Anyhow, up to you.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts