G5 Club banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
#low
1,537 Posts
It is possible that the tie rod ends and such WERE bad and it is very hard to diagnose something like a steering shaft when there is visible play elsewhere.

It is also possible your mechanic takes the shotgun approach to repair and just replaces parts until it is fixed.

The question to ask is this

Why didn't you have your mechanic show you where the issues were and explain why he was replacing each part. Any good mechanic will take you to your car and show you the play or damage and that takes the guessing as to whether they are replacing a part which was needed or not.

I worked in the industry for a number of years and have never seen a mechanic refuse to show the customer the issue to verify the repairs needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent post tuppenyturtle, I've not worked in this industry so I don't have your experience but wouldn't the mechanic have noticed the same or similar play in the steering as he was testing the car after the tie rod job? I'm sure the tie rod replacement would have put things a little tighter but not enough if now a steering column needs replacement. The problem should still have been noticeable after tie rod replacement. I'm thinking the mechanic is mostly taking the "trial and error" approach.

·
#low
1,537 Posts
It's impossible to tell now because the customer didn't verify the problem beforehand.

I do agree that the Technician should have noticed the play after road testing the vehicle, however like said before there just as easily could have been play in other components and it's now impossible to tell if the work was nessecary or not. the steering shafts are a common issue on these cars and should have been checked, however a mechanic that doesn't specialize on vehicles ie not a dealer would not know every common issue with every car nessecarilly, this is where services like prodemand and identifix come in handy as far as common fixes go.

if I were doing a front end check on a vehicle for play in the steering wheel the first thing I would check is tie rods inner and outer and lower cabs. If there was play in either of those components I would replace and then road test just as it seems was done here. In 95% of vehicles on the road a steering shaft is not a common wear item and is usually a design flaw that causes a failure like on the delta platform. It would not be on my list of things to check if I didn't already know of the common issues.

I checked control arm bushings and tie.rod ends on my car before I diagnosed the steering shaft even knowing the common issue.

I'm not saying the mechanic did anything wrong and I'm not blaming the customer, just educating the customer on the best way to be sure the work being done is needed. There are shady mechanics out there but there are lots of honest mechanics that get labeled as such because customers don't ask questions and then get their bill.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
If the car is old enough, and is driven on winter-salted roads, the steering intermediate shaft u-joints are rusted/worn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My coolant temp is not registering at all. I don’t know what the problem is. Could it be a sensor or what could it be possibly? I’ve had this G5 for three months not a problem til now

if the thermostat is stuck open your problem would be too low a temp, not too high. almost all stats that fail will fail in an open position. If your temp is too high check the following sources
1 lack of air flow. is your fan working? is your rad full of lint, bugs and road dust? make sure these are ok
2 is your system pressure to high. the only way this can happen is if your rad cap is not releasing pressure. easiest way to verify that is makr the height of your coolant overflow reservoir when it's cold, drive for a while til you are up to max temp and see if the level has risen some. if it hasn't might be time for a new rad cap
3 have you got enough coolant? lack of coolant will cause engine temp to soar pretty quick,, double check levels, and everything should be ok. (always buy straight coolant not hte premix stuff, you'll pay too much. Vital that you used distilled water when you do mix or else you won't gt 45 years of life out of the engine. if you plan to keep the car 2 or less, most of us are just fine with tap water)
4 possible leak in the head gasket. oh you poor bastard, this isn't gonna be cheap, but don't worry unlikely.

really most likely it was hot day, poor airflow from stop and go traffic and things just got hot. check a few of the things we suggested, and 'm sure all is gonna be all right.

·
Super Moderator
579 Posts
My coolant temp is not registering at all. I don’t know what the problem is. Could it be a sensor or what could it be possibly? I’ve had this G5 for three months not a problem til now
Are you getting a CEL? Typically the --- reading for the coolant is caused by the tstat itself, and it would need to be replaced.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts