Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decide between purchasing a radar detector or a standalone GPS navigator. Both are around $200. I have never owned either of these devices so I'm not sure which would be more helpful.

I figure the radar detector will probably keep me from getting some tickets since I usually go 80 on the freeway and have a lead foot. But the navigation would probably be more practical, even though I rarely get lost in my own town and only on occation travel to places I don't know.

Any thoughts from people who use these things?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Slow down, drive safe, and get a GPS. I don't have one, wish I did, would be very very handy to have for sure.

besides radar detectors don't exactely work as well as people think they are. You are for sure not invisible.. not by any means. To mean, if I had one (and they were legal here) I imagine I would end up driving faster, and end up with more, and more severe speeding tickets.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
drive slow and get a GPS. You'll get into the habit of driving crazy all the time and slamming on the breaks every time that POS goes off. Theres enough idiots on the road...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a gps. My magellan(-spell?) is a life saver. My radar detector is a pos. All it does is make me more nervous when I drive.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yeah ... my radar detector has yet to prove its value ... more and more cops seem to be using lazer anyways. Go for gps.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I live in an area that doesn't use too much LIDAR, so my radar has given me the heads up twice now, ironically I wasn't speeding either of those times hahaha.

Anyways, depends where you live, I know my area well enough I'd say radar, but if you can't find north from south, then I guess GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i would go gps because i speed enough as it is and a radar would make me want to go even faster lol surprisingly no speed tickets yet tho lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
fusiongt said:
i would go gps because i speed enough as it is and a radar would make me want to go even faster lol surprisingly no speed tickets yet tho lol
you just jinxed it.haha...i agree with that one guy, if you get lost easily then get a gps. i get lost in the bathroom with the door open so i need a gps.lol...but some radars are hand to have

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used a radar detector for many years, ever since they became available. There are times when they work just fine. But, other times certain RF, Radio Frequencies, set them off when there are no radar police around. That drives you nuts when that happens; because even if you know the signal is false, the noise is awful.

Other times the police use a highly directional radar gun, and they only apply it momentarily, and infrequently, so if you hear it, it is probably too late. One has to learn to interpret the signals received with it, and differentiate the false signals from the real ones. There is a knack to it.

The Radar Detector is best used on the open highway where even a momentary blip from the police radar registers when you are still out of range, and they are aiming at another car a mile or so in front of you. Then you know that the police are working that stretch of highway, and you can slow down well in advance. (The transmitted signal is strong, but the received signal returned to the police is an echo bouncing off your car, so it is thousands of times weaker than the raw signal that your radar detector sees. That's why the range of the radar detector is many times greater than the police radar.)

Some people have experimented with "ECM", Electronic Counter Measures, like military aircraft use. Those generate false radar signals, jamming, back at the police, and that cancels out their radar. :) Running a game on the police like that could have unpleasant consequences, so I wouldn't do it. :( The police are always getting newer and better equipment, and sooner or later they will catch you.

Get the GPS, and forget the Radar Detector, even those devices that also have the laser detector. It's not worth it, and you'll receive more satisfaction from the GPS. :wink:

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I'll tell you... comming from someone who has both....

Radar dector's are only good for POLICE CARS ONLY.

If you come accross a road block, police behind the bushes////radar guns/lasers.... they are USELESS

During the rain is about the only good time to use it... during a sunny clear day though... your screwed if they have a radar gun.

I invested $500 into my radar detector and $1000 into my double din GPS/DVD/Navigation deck and loving that... save up and get a double din deck... Great one I recommend is the AVIC-D3 from Pioneer

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
i went to a small meeting with a cop through my school and we got to ask whatever questions we wanted. anyway, the cop said if you get pulled over and the cop sees a radar detector you are guarenteed not to get any slack. say your going 15 over, normally a cop may only write you up for 5 over and let you go, but if they see a detector your guarenteed for the full 15.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
For Canada, only one radar detector will do. It would be the Beltronics STi Driver. It is the only RD that is safe for use against Radar Detector Detectors (Spectre).

It runs about the same as the Valentine One in price (400$ USD).

Anything else is detectable, especially Cobra detectors, they leak like crazy.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
oh yeah, I forgot there are provinces where detectors are illegal haha.

·
Registered
493 Posts
tank said:
yeah ... my radar detector has yet to prove its value ... more and more cops seem to be using lazer anyways. Go for gps.
My whitler radar is awsome pick up all lazers ones,since I moved though I can't use it cause its illegal here..I should sell it.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
g5mike said:
tank said:
My whitler radar is awsome pick up all lazers ones,since I moved though I can't use it cause its illegal here..I should sell it.
Let's talk dollars haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts