G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the rear deck speakerS? They seem easy to get at from the trunk but i think the deck liner may get in the way when I'm removing them..

Any one done this before and go any advice?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
you will have to take the rear deck cover off and then unscrew them from the bottom and disconnect. they should just lift out after that.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any idea how the deck liner is attached? and how easy it is to remove and put back in?

·
So Delicious !
5,291 Posts
to do it right you need to pull the back of the rear seat
then you need to remove at least one of the side trim pannels,
the head rests and the plastic piece behind the rear seat to get
the rear deck out.

I've had mine out and recovered in leather.

It can be a chore..........
and he was right the cover has to be removed
to get the rear speakers out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it worth it to take it out? or will it be quite hard to get back in?

I only ask because the speakers I was gonna put in are speakers I bought a year and a half ago and never used them(pioneer 3 way 6x9's).

Figured I'd put them in but if it's alot of work I dun wanna take the deck off and put it back in and find out it makes noises etc.

I HATE NOISES in my car lol, I just got rid of all the other ones, the last thing I need is another!

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
i can do a how to if you want to wait until thanksgiving

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
It isn't all that difficult on the G5. You'll just need to fold the seat down and then take the headrests off. Its nothing like my old 1995 Grand am where you had to take the entire frickin seat out, and the T-55 bolts for the seatbelt.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Cherry that would be much appreciated!

I've taken a look at it, So basically i just fold the seats down, then the two like plastic triangles on the sides with the like plastic circles on them, do I remove those?

then the head rests and then the cover will come right off?

Let me know and thanks for the quick replies guys!

·
Registered
292 Posts
you pop out the circles and then on the inside there will be a little rip cord you have to turn just slightly to pop out the hole, otherwise the whole pillar pops out. I've taken my rear deck apart many times, the only thing you need to watch for is when pulling the rear deck out be careful not to bend it to much or you may leave a little crease line in it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Which model year and trim level is your G5? About the "circles" you're referring to, are you talking about the round covers on the side trim panels at the rear of the car?

you pop out the circles and then on the inside there will be a little rip cord you have to turn just slightly to pop out the hole, otherwise the whole pillar pops out. I've taken my rear deck apart many times, the only thing you need to watch for is when pulling the rear deck out be careful not to bend it to much or you may leave a little crease line in it.

But you don't need to remove the whole seat though right? Just fold it down. I think the side trim panels you're referring to are those flanking both sides of the rear deck? GM calls them the lock pillar upper garnish molding apparently.

to do it right you need to pull the back of the rear seat
then you need to remove at least one of the side trim pannels, the head rests and the plastic piece behind the rear seat to get the rear deck out. I've had mine out and recovered in leather. It can be a chore.......... and he was right the cover has to be removed to get the rear speakers out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drive a 2006 pontiac pursuit GT.

The things I'm talking about are right angle triangle shaped and there is one on each side and in the middle there is a plastic circle.

Is it worth it to put new 3 way pioneer speakerS? or are the stockers better?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Right, I think we are talking about the same thing. The plastic circle is a cover right? And when you remove it, it reveals a screw underneath which you can remove and the rest of the trim panel is held in by clips only.

I drive a 2006 pontiac pursuit GT. The things I'm talking about are right angle triangle shaped and there is one on each side and in the middle there is a plastic circle. Is it worth it to put new 3 way pioneer speakerS? or are the stockers better?

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
theres also 2 clips near the trunk opening holding it down. you need to access them from the trunk. its probably easier with 2 people.

and you need to unbolt the seatbelts if you want to take it out completely.

and i took mine out twice without removing the quarter trim, it bent a bit, but once i put it back in it was fine

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like it's not worth taken out with the risk that I could put the seat belts back on wrong, etc etc.

Anyone know if putting in a new aftermarket head unit will help with the stock speakers? are they already at there watt limit? or are they currently being under powered? Because the stock speakers don't seem too loud.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Did you get the pioneer sound package?

If not, the pioneers you have (and just about anything else) is better the the stock paper cone speakers. Don't know what their watt limit is but they crackle with the volumn all the way up (which can be caused by the head unit too...).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the 7 speaker premium package with the sub in the truck.

The speakers I was gonna put in are 300 watt 3 way pioneer 6x9's.

Think it's worth it to switch them?

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
IDK. I haven't heard them so can't give you my opinion.

Do they sound bad to you? Fidelity going south? It all comes down to how you want it to sound and if your happy with the way it is now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts