G5 Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if any base g5's or cobalts came with rear disc brakes? I was looking through ebay and saw some rear discs for a g6 and it said "2008 G5 Base 2.2L rear discs" like if those fit. Would it be possible to put the rear discs of a g6 into my g5?? If so how could I make sure the parking brake and all works fine? Anyone know? Just wondering.. maybe its not even possible :p.. hope to get an answer. Or anyway I can just convert from drums to discs? My brother did it for his s10 and wasn't that hard so just wondering :D thanks :)
Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
The conversion can be done from drum to disc rears, but it will be a 5 bolt pattern, so if you are a 4 bolt right now you will have to deal with wheels, fronts etc. No base model G5's had rear discs, only the G5 GT's and Cobalt SS's had them.

From my point of view, its not a change you need to make. The drums are fine for the weight of our cars. Instead of doing this, put better brakes on and better tires and you will be off to the races. I also don't like the handbrake with the rear discs. My friend has an SS/SC and his handbrake can't hold his car on even a slight hill. Its the same thing with my dad's G6 GT.

I do not know if the G6 disc brakes would work on the rears.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh thanks guys.. I was also thinking if maybe I could use the hhr's rear discs to my cobalt? And if I get the ones from a gt or ss can I put them on and use the even if my car is auto?? Because all gt and ss are manual right?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
"All GT and SS" are not manual. You could get either with an auto or manual transmission. The supercharged and turbocharged cobalts only came with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that's right toolman my bud had a ss and was auto but had no turbocharger. So the if I find an auto ss cobalts rear discs I can put them on my g5?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I put my brakes to brembo a cobalt SS and no need to change something. Only I had to put spacers 5mm.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and is that for the rear discs? I just wanna get rid of my drums and put discs. My car is already 5 lug. So any suggestions? I also saw a rear disc conversion but its from a toyota and its real expensive.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok im just going to use this thread since i dont want to start a new one about the same thing.. but i heard if my car is 4 lug i can use the rear discs or a saturn? anyone heard of that? and all i would need are the rotors, ss calibers, 2 mounting brackets for the calibers, and new brake lines. just looking for some info on this anf google is not being my friend today :/

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think it would be possible if you redrilled the ss/tc rotors? and i think you would need spacers and at least 17 inch rims

all late :p but i just saw this now haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wanted to know if any base g5's or cobalts came with rear disc brakes? I was looking through ebay and saw some rear discs for a g6 and it said "2008 G5 Base 2.2L rear discs" like if those fit. Would it be possible to put the rear discs of a g6 into my g5?? If so how could I make sure the parking brake and all works fine? Anyone know? Just wondering.. maybe its not even possible :p.. hope to get an answer. Or anyway I can just convert from drums to discs? My brother did it for his s10 and wasn't that hard so just wondering :D thanks :)
Pretty sure newer model G5 have rear disk & maybe the upper models like the GT model? Mine is a base model rear drums! Check local junk yards for a massive discount!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts