G5 Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base with drums in the rear. Driving down the highway and I get a sudden shaking. pull over and tires are fine. The passenger rear rotor is hotter then the drivers side. The day before I was having fun in the snow and this is the price I pay. Blah.

Can anyone guess what might cause the rear drums to drag heavily when going around 30mph? When it first started dragging I pulled over looked at stuff then rolled back and fourth to try and feel what was going on. Going reverse freed it. When I got back up to 30mph the dragging started again. I've never worked on drums before but I have done a pile of rotor work, so this is a little new to me.

Any tips on removing the drums? I have them doused with penetrating fluid for over the night. Is the BF Hammer the best choice?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
My last car had drums in the back, but I don't remember how I ended up removing them when the wheel cylinder went out. It might be that the brake shoes are holding them. Try a BFH and a block of wood to knock the drum loose. If you put the wheel back on, can you turn the wheel? That will tell you if the brake shoes are holding onto the drum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a base with drums in the rear. Driving down the highway and I get a sudden shaking. pull over and tires are fine. The passenger rear rotor is hotter then the drivers side. The day before I was having fun in the snow and this is the price I pay. Blah.

Can anyone guess what might cause the rear drums to drag heavily when going around 30mph? When it first started dragging I pulled over looked at stuff then rolled back and fourth to try and feel what was going on. Going reverse freed it. When I got back up to 30mph the dragging started again. I've never worked on drums before but I have done a pile of rotor work, so this is a little new to me.

Any tips on removing the drums? I have them doused with penetrating fluid for over the night. Is the BF Hammer the best choice?
Try heat!!! Heat it, & beat it!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts