G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as most regulars know, my dad is a seat upholsterer, so my interior is always getting freebie upgrades. Well, here's the latest. Sorry about the sun glare, it throws the pics off a little, but youll get the idea. We only did the rear and the drivers seats today, next weekend will be the passenger and the door panels over.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
looks good man, i cant wait to see it all finished

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
damn I wish I had leather, lol. looks awsome! keep up the good work.

G

·
Your dad should hook everybody else up, I am not in the same boat, but I can see it from here, and I bet alot of people here would like what you have...

maybe cost +shipping?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha thanks everyone. 1600 is wayyy too high. as for cost + shipping, theres now templates for our covers, he just does everything by pulling it out of the car. besides, recovering these isn't as easty as pullig off the old and swapping in the new. you need to use the same gm velcro strips to keep it looking exactly stock.

also, while i had the time, i rebuilt the foam in the drivers seat. the stuff we have in there is complete shit. the ride is so much nicer now.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I'm going to be fabric dying my seats next weekend, same color scheme, I think I'm going to steal your pattern.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha go for it. id be interested to see how much different it would turn out, time and quality ways.

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
looks good

but honestly I'd be more interested in swapping the seats for something else then reupholster them. stock seats are not supportive enough for my liking, the car handles too much for the seats :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when choosing between buying new seats or keeping the stock ones, and reupholstering them for free, also building up the foam in them, it was an easy choice.

besides, I really dislike the look of racing seats, and the recaros are not all THAT much more comfortable or good for cornering.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
njg5gt said:
besides, I really dislike the look of racing seats, and the recaros are not all THAT much more comfortable or good for cornering.
I have to agree. That and I hate having front racing seats and having stock rear bench seat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
the reason I did not get leather in my car,is due to the fact that I have dogs and the gm leather is too soft for dog paws,that being said..Now that your dad has the templates,I would be vert interested in a leatherette or maybe leather covers for the seats,please let me know about this as in the new year I would be wanting to buy covers,I do not like the coverking products

·
Registered
493 Posts
njg5gt said:
haha thanks everyone. 1600 is wayyy too high. as for cost + shipping, theres now templates for our covers, he just does everything by pulling it out of the car. besides, recovering these isn't as easty as pullig off the old and swapping in the new. you need to use the same gm velcro strips to keep it looking exactly stock.

also, while i had the time, i rebuilt the foam in the drivers seat. the stuff we have in there is complete shit. the ride is so much nicer now.
king has sheeps leather,its a very strong leather.I just noticed what you did with the foam with the seats,thats what I really want,cause I slide around in my seats,I would love to purchase this setup

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
yeah this might be getting interesting

also when installing my floor mats I noticed below our seats a connector stands unplugged, is that the pre wiring for the heated seats? would be nice to add if you're starting to play in that area.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the connector you speak of is most likely the heated seats. i have two plugs under my seat and one is for heated seats, which i have.

for the foam, the backrest was pretty adaquet so all i did was blow the foam up (using steam to restore its original shape), and cover it in a soft 1/2" foam to add a little more cushion.

for the bottom seat, which was in bad shape when i opened it and i weigh 150 lbs., i left the top alone due to the heater for the heated seats, and added 1" solid firm foam to the bottom.

when covering, all he did was cut out the black leather from the parts i wanted and sewed in the red leather, with a thicker backing on it than the stock leather. we also used real glue as opposed to whatever the factory uses because when you pull at the stock leather, it tears off the padding with ease.

for those wanting actual covers, we could probably do something like that. let me know if you're interested eventually and ill talk to him about what he would suggest doing.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are the finished photos. sorrry but this is just my camera phone as i didnt want to bring out my SLR in the rain :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts