G5 Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to go get myself a remote start/alarm combo. Now I have a couple of questions.

1) How do they work with a standard tranny? is it even do-able?

2) Any recommendations on brands etc?

·
Registered
62 Posts
they do work on a standard tranny... the car has to be in neutral for it to start... so u can really only do it on hills enough to where the ebrake can hold... theyre pretty nice.

i actually bought mine and am installing it this weekend.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so aslong as i leave the car in neutral and the ebrake on i'll be good. I don't really have hills that i park on anyways... my driveway is flat and so is the college parking lot.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I would advise you to have a professional shop install it if it is a manual transmission one. GM somewhat frowns upon wiring being done on the car without a professional install (When it comes to that type of thing anyways). Stereos etc no problem because you aren't actually tapping into any of the cars harnesses - a buddy of mine works for a place that installs all of that stuff and he said he usually recommends that people who have warranties have them installed at a GM dealer.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I buy the remote start/alarm system from future shop, don't get it installed there? Or by professional do you mean not myself? I wouldn't be doing it myself haha, i'm not good with that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
115 Posts
NOO remote starts are bad...at my old job we had thousands of cars come in with ignitions probs due to those starters are very hard on ur starter switch and causes all kinds of probs

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've never been impressed with remote start. Guess its just your thing. I know alot of the '07 G5s came with remote start, so GM might have a kit or some upgrade available.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah i should have gotten gm to install one on my car when i first bought it but down the road i want to go with a 2 way system tho

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fusiongt said:
yeah i should have gotten gm to install one on my car when i first bought it but down the road i want to go with a 2 way system tho
That's what I'm looking at ... it's a compustar remote start and alarm system all in one lovely package ... here in P.G. it gets to -30 sometimes ... a remote start would be hella nice, especially at a 5000 ft range from inside the college.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah that would be something i would like to get it goes from +40 celcius - -40 celcius here during the winter and somedays i dont feel like walking from my second floor apartment down to my car to start it lol

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
not sure, my brother bought a 2 way alarm/command start for his 2004 civic si 3 years ago which is what i would like and his was about $500 i am pretty sure Viper made it and that $500 didn't include install

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yah the compustar that I'm getting from future shop is $499 installed, plus I get a 15% discount baby 8)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, I'm not leasing, but I'll take everything into account when it comes time to get it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts