G5 Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my G5, unlike other cars I have had, where the knob at the top of the door lock shaft is threaded, and if the plastic button on the top of the shaft breaks, I could always get a new button with the right fit threads and simply twist it into place.

Well, one day, I pulled the lock shaft up, and the plastic button just broke off between my fingers.

I was told at the dealership that I would have to get an entire shaft with the top button attached (I did notice where the broken parts of the button had fallen off that there were no threads, and the metal of the shaft was so hard, I don't know if a thread cutter would be able to cut any threads.

So, I'm just going to have to give in and buy the whole shaft for the door lock.

The place where it connects to the lock is located in a position where I cannot, even with a mirror see how it is attached, and can only feel it with my fingers.

Can anyone direct me to a diagram which will show me exactly what I will have to do to replace that door lock shaft?

·
1,895 Posts
Go to GM parts direct and fake shopping for that particular part number. They have some nice exploded blueprint-type diagrams for individual parts.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
12,835 Posts
You are going to need to remove the interior door panel. There is a screw under a plastic cover inside the handle where you pull the door shut, and another screw behind the chrome latch handle. Once those two screws are removed, it is just a matter of pulling the panel where the plastic clips are. From what I remember, it might be easiest to start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

A word of caution: One of the rods (I think it is the one you are replacing) has a plastic clip on it that adjusts its connection to the latch mechanism. It is very important to get this adjusted correctly before putting the door panel back on. Double and triple check to make sure that you can unlock AND unlatch the door mechanism before closing the door for the first time. I didn't do this, and I had to remove the door panel with the door closed... If for some reason you end up in this position, let me know and I'll walk you through how to remove the door panel with the least amount of damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts