G5 Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i reset the oil life?? i just changed my oil yesterday and cant find my manual.. so how do ya do it?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
have your key on. and dont move your car. then press both info buttons at once. it will take you to the oil life reset, and press the reset button and then press both buttons again and away you go.

you can change some other settings on there to with lights and horn and such

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
there are a couple of ways to do it. this is the one from the manual:

1. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN, with the engine off.
2. Press the information and reset buttons on the
Driver Information Center (DIC) at the same
time to enter the personalization menu.
3. Press the information button to scroll through the
available personalization menu modes until the
DIC display shows OIL-LIFE RESET.
4. Press and hold the reset button until the DIC
display shows ACKNOWLEDGED. This will tell you
the system has been reset.
5. Turn the key to LOCK/OFF.
or you can turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position with the engine off and step fully on the gas pedal 3 times quickly in a row. this is my preferred method since it's much easier :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys got it done

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Leave it to GM to come up with a completely dorky alternative to the two-button method!
I hate to tell you this, but the two button method is actually the "Alternative" method. GM has been using the pedal pump method much longer than the DIC method.

·
Registered
385 Posts
GM has been using the pedal pump method much longer than the DIC method.
I haven't tried the pedal reset method since it's less effort to use my fingers, but I noticed that this reset method isn't in the owner's manual so I wonder if it has been deprecated these cars. Have you tried the pedal method on your 2007 G5 yourself?

·
Registered
385 Posts
It works. I use the pedal method every time I change the oil.
I'll try the keyboard button method first. My car just had its first oil change and the dealer service centre reset it for me. Though this time around, I'm sure I'll have to reset it myself before the next oil change because from having observed the rate of percentage change of the oil life value in the last few months, I'm quite sure it will go to a low value well before the 8000 to 9600 km (5000 to 6000 miles) interval I plan to use the 2nd load of oil for. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the system control computer (i.e. BCM) might also send an alert through On-Star to me so I will reset the oil life value before it triggers the service reminder message on the display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts