G5 Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha hey there my fellow G5 lovers.

I have been loving this forum, you guys are great. nice to meet a community where when i post something that shows of my extreme ignorance, i don't get flamed too bad (knock on wood)

ok, enough of the mushy crap, on to my problem...

I want to buy some nice rims to replace my shitty stock steel rims with the Walmart special chrome hub caps (as sick as they are)
A guy at the local body shop says i could put 17 inch rims on my car... is that possible? if i can that's be awesome, because 15 inch rims won't look as good because you have to have the 195 thick tires that came stock. I mean, i do have space in the well, but i'm not sure how much. I guess i want to know, has anymore put 17's on their car, and if yes, what tire specs did you get? also, if you have anything negative to say about getting a bigger rim, feel free. (ie. LOL Axel will fall off)

if you put any kind of rim on, even the 15s and they actually look good, that'd help too of course

thanks for your time guys!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
you can put 18 inch wheels on it if you want, i went from stock 16x6.5 inch wheels to 17x8 inch wheels and they fit great. also just so you kno, use the search key often, i will help ya out and put the link to the official wheel thread in a sec. my tire specs are 225/45/zr17. the only problem you will encounter is your speedo will be off a little bit depending on the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combined (its common sence that a larger diameter wheel and tire will go farther in one revolution then a smaller one).

heres the link, i will post up before and after pics of my car in a minute. http://www.g5club.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5977

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
a lot of us have 17s and 18s. both work out really well. the link that pontiacg52007 should answer all of your size questions. also, another pretty neat resource is tirerack.com and discounttire.com - on both of those sites, you can put in what kind of car you drive, and it'll list all of the wheels they sell that will work with your car. totally takes the guesswork out of it :)

as far as what kind to get, that's totally a matter of your personal preference. what color is your car? i happen to really like my wheels though - check them out in my garage :-D

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
heres my car with the stock 16" steelies...

and here it is with 17" tsw nogaros

and heres one just to show the size difference in the tires

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
For the record, 17s are stock on GT. Don't know if there are clearance differences for the base though.

I'm ordering 225/45/17s right now actually.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
got the same on my base with a 2" drop, 215/45zr17
I belive someone here has 19" rims on his 5. I think he had to go with 30 or 35 series tires tho. too low-pro for me. But you can get them to fit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the guy at the Walmart Tire center said i should go 205/50 or 45/R17

or get these
[media]http://02civ.com/images/DONKeykong%2040%20inch%20rims.jpg[/media]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good year is good year, regardless of where you get them

and is wheelfire.com a good site, its like 700 dollars for the tires and rims

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
no actually they are not...the goodyear tires they sell at walmart...are made for walmart..they are of subpar quality and they are shit.

ask me how i know..please.

good year is good year, regardless of where you get them

and is wheelfire.com a good site, its like 700 dollars for the tires and rims
ive never used wheelfire

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
no actually they are not...the goodyear tires they sell at walmart...are made for walmart..they are of subpar quality and they are shit.

ask me how i know..please.
im not gonna ask how but this is true. esp when it comes to performance tires your should def go somewhere that knows what they are talkin about

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
seriously...walmart...who the fuck goes to walmart to get tires...dude..go to a real tire shop...
x2!!!

not only that, but they suck at putting mounting them properly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts