G5 Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How smooth does your G5 Idle? Mine sounds smooth, but I can feel a bit of a vibration, not a perfectly smooth vibration, comes in through the steering wheel. Nothing major, but I just don't know if these are the kind of cars that normally have a vibration, or are usually really smooth? Just picked up our winter car / second vehicle, a 98 cavalier, and it idles way smoother than our 06 Pursuit. Something I should take in under warranty, or think they will just tell me it's 'normal'...?

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
they'll tell you its normal, but it might not be. what are your rpms reading when this is happening? are they fluctuating at all? if so, you could need a reflash on your throttle control

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tach reads perfectly steady. It's not reving up or down or anything.. just a slight rough idle.. I think it sits around 800 rpm .. but I'm kind of guessing on that number.. I just don't remember.. it's only when sitting at a light. it's perfect when in park....

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Perfectly quiet for me, rock steady at around 800 RPMs as well. Almost can't tell the engine is on!! 5K+ miles 2.4 manual.

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
I am getting that slight vibration when at a light too. Do you have an auto per chance?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
McGuyver said:
I am getting that slight vibration when at a light too. Do you have an auto per chance?
Yes I do have an audo.. 38K KM on it...

I got a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner, and put that in with my last fill up. about 2/3 of the way through the tank I noticed a huge difference. There is hardly anything there at al now. Nothing really noticable. So I guess quite possibly it was a little clogged fuel injector.

I didn't see it at first, but there is a TSB for the fuel injectors getting cleaned, rough idle being one of the symptoms.. so if it comes back bad again before my warranty is up, I'll get it in and get them to do a full out cleaning on them. but right now it's certainly not bad enough to warrant that kind of work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Smokey said:
How smooth does your G5 Idle? Mine sounds smooth, but I can feel a bit of a vibration, not a perfectly smooth vibration, comes in through the steering wheel. Nothing major, but I just don't know if these are the kind of cars that normally have a vibration, or are usually really smooth? Just picked up our winter car / second vehicle, a 98 cavalier, and it idles way smoother than our 06 Pursuit. Something I should take in under warranty, or think they will just tell me it's 'normal'...?
It is normal. The Eco vibrates a lot at idle. Reminds me a lot of the Quad 4 in my Beretta GTZ I had 10 years ago.

And yeah, the pushrod 2.2 was smoother at idle.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
McG said:
Its not a push rod, its an over head cam engine. A pushrod is my engine a 3900 V6 :wink:

GM pushrods do idle ruff, i would know :p BUT your DOHC 4s SHOULD be a smooth idle. If its not, something isnt right.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dre said:
McG said:
Its not a push rod, its an over head cam engine. A pushrod is my engine a 3900 V6 :wink:

GM pushrods do idle ruff, i would know :p BUT your DOHC 4s SHOULD be a smooth idle. If its not, something isnt right.
Maybe you should read the messages over again.

He referenced the 2.2 in a 98 Cavalier being smoother. That's what I referenced when saying the idle was smoother. And yeah, it's a pushrod.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
McG said:
Dre said:
McG said:

Maybe you should read the messages over again.

He referenced the 2.2 in a 98 Cavalier being smoother. That's what I referenced when saying the idle was smoother. And yeah, it's a pushrod.
OOOOoooooo, thats what he ment. :lol: :lol:

It all make sence now! My fault :eek:hmy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts