G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, when I was driving home from work, the RPMs would drop extremely slowly when trying to shift. I would push the clutch in, shift, and then I would have to wait about 4-5 seconds before the tach would drop enough to match rpms for the shift. When I pulled into my garage, I reved it up a few times to see if I could hear anything out of the ordinary. The throttle body is making a very loud slapping/banging sound when the engine is idling and then I hit the gas. So, I pulled off the intake, thinking that something might be loose in the throttle body, but everything looks like it should. I turned the ignition on (engine is off) and when you hit the gas, the throttle body continues to make that loud bang. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll probably just end up taking it in to the dealer next week. I sure hope that this will be covered under the powertrain warranty!

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I didn't drive the car all weekend, and it did the same thing on my way to work today. Except, when I got into town, it suddenly started running like normal??? Bizarre. I was going to take it in, but now I am not since they won't be able to reproduce the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope so, but I have a feeling that it is going to be one of those intermittent problems that always plays nice for the dealer....

It was so frusterating taking off at a stoplight. I'd stay in 1st up to about 5-6k, hit the clutch, shift into second, and then wait..........................., and then let the clutch back out.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
it's called deceleration fuel cut off.. it doesnt go away.. if u stay in the same gear without shifting, (usually first or second), it hangs like that. I hate it too since i have full bolt ons its extremely loud and annoying.shift.. thats ur answer.

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's called deceleration fuel cut off.. it doesnt go away.. if u stay in the same gear without shifting, (usually first or second), it hangs like that. I hate it too since i have full bolt ons its extremely loud and annoying.shift.. thats ur answer.
I think you might have misunderstood. It does this in all gears, when I am trying to shift. It just started doing this a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The 2.2L seems to take forever to drop revs. I also hate how hard the shifter is to move when I want down shift or up shift quickly. Too many damn "safety" features.

Maybe you could provide us with an .mp3/.wav file?

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd run a can of throttle body cleaner through anyways.
Thanks for the suggestion. I might do that as preventative maintenance. I pulled off the intake on Saturday night, and the throttle body was pretty black behind the throttle plate.

At the moment, I'm really happy that it only did this for about 50 miles. It seems to be working perfectly now.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Interesting... Glad it went away.

As far as shifting and waiting for the rpms to drop, if I'm punching it though the gears, I don't wait at all for the rpms. I just pop the clutch and feed gas. If I'm cruising I'll take my time but I never wait for the rpms to fall. The only time I've done that is when shifting without the clutch, in which case you have to rev match in order to get it in gear at all.

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it started doing this again, so I took it in to the dealer today. It just so happens that this is related to my cruise control not working (see this thread -> http://www.g5club.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4543) The upper clutch pedal switch went bad, so the car thought I was constantly riding the clutch pedal. They have to order the part, so I won't be getting it fixed until Monday. The cost to fix is going to be about $100-$150, including the diagnostic fee. I'll let you know for sure after I pay the bill next week.

·
Premium Member
12,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ohhhh, ok, i was only thinking years - i forgot how much you drive your car. man that sucks :-(
I'm telling you, man, our cars have a friggin' mind of thier own! ;)

I hope you can get it fixed! :(
It's alright guys. It is getting fixed on Monday, and I am extremely happy that it wasn't something like the BCM, or a huge electrical problem. I'm even happier that I can drive it home today, rather than leaving it at the shop all weekend! :)

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The 2.2L seems to take forever to drop revs. I also hate how hard the shifter is to move when I want down shift or up shift quickly. Too many damn "safety" features.

Maybe you could provide us with an .mp3/.wav file?

I find the G5's shifter/clutch to be rather easy. I can get sub half second shifts. Much better than most other stick shifts I've driven.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.