G5 Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'Clementine' 07 G5 Coupe
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 base model G5 with a manual transmission and noticed that the shifter is pretty stiff, including the side to side movement, not just going into gear. A friend of mine says that it could just be due to the MTF being old and maybe in needs to be changed (obviously he said it's not a guarantee that it needs to be done but rather a suggestion).

Just wanted to get another opinion on it because through looking at the owners manual GM never mentions anything about maintenance on the manual transmission at all in it other than linking a parts number to transmission fluid (that they don't have under that parts number anymore).

If anyone knows what else could cause that I'm all ears, the shifter in my brother's car doesn't feel nearly as still though I know the transmission is different since it's the SS/NA Cobalt

·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
130 Posts
Im an Auto, but my fluid is "supposed to be good for the life of the transmission". I call Bull. I flushed it ~7k miles ago and will probably flush it every 25k or so. I'd suggest you flush it even if it wouldnt fix the issue. Dont forget a new filter.

·
Registered
'Clementine' 07 G5 Coupe
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im an Auto, but my fluid is "supposed to be good for the life of the transmission". I call Bull. I flushed it ~7k miles ago and will probably flush it every 25k or so. I'd suggest you flush it even if it wouldnt fix the issue. Dont forget a new filter.
Yeah I call bull on the good for life bs too. Not sure when the last fluid change was but I can ask the previous owner if he did it at all. Will probably still do it for peace of mind but I was going to push it off a bit longer if the general consensus was that it probably wouldn't help with that, or to get at least another opinion on it.

Will keep people updated on it since I didn't see really any posts about it on here. May scour the Cobalt forums a bit beforehand as well just to see if anyone else has had any experience with it.

For now I'll just add it to the list of things I still need to do, first up to tackle tomorrow before work, change the dammed light bulbs that are dimmer than my fogs at night.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
I thought I made a how-to many years ago, but maybe I didn't. The drain plug is on the side of the transmission. I think it takes an 8mm Allen socket. The fill hole is a black plastic plug on top. There is a second plug that you can remove that acts as an overflow when you refill it, or you can measure out the proper amount of fluid. I don't recall how much fluid it takes, but it isn't very much. This manual transmission actually used ATF, so I bought a bottle of Mobil One synthetic ATF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts