G5 Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove into a pothole the size of the grand canyon today and bent one of my rims. Needless to say I was/am quite pissed. I've attached a few pics...looking for opinions on whether anyone thinks/knows if it should be able to be repaired or not? Gonna call some places tomorrow...

·
Registered
547 Posts
:shock: ouch.

You should check to see if the city you live in will pay for it. It's their damn pothole, they should fix it!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Be sure to take note of where it happened. Take lots of pictures of where it happened and how/when/what time. Then take it to the city because in some cases the city will pay for the damage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tire escaped without any damage at all...somehow. I knew as soon as I hit it, someone was fucked because it started vibrating like something sick immediately after. I also haven't seen the inside of the rim yet...I can't imagine it's too bad because the air isn't leaking from the tire at all.

I did it on a provincial "highway". At least I think it's a provincial road...could be municipal but it was in a small town of probably a couple hundred people tops. I highly doubt they would even consider paying for it. I will however look up the route online and see who is responsible for it.

The road is that bad that I went into a pothole and bent my rim while swerving the car to avoid the other potholes on the road. I spent the entire 100KM stretch of road weaving and swerving out of friggin potholes.

I've been told I can expect to pay $100-$120 to fix it....does anyone know exactly how they will fix it and will it look like new? A new wheel is $175 + shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
that really sucks hope you get everything figured out

·
Registered
649 Posts
Speaking from previous experience any "minor" bend in a rim will leave it weak for the rest of its life. Whether you repair it or not, it is more likely to happen again in the future. IMO for the money it costs I would invest in a new rim.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
farfrmnormal said:
Speaking from previous experience any "minor" bend in a rim will leave it weak for the rest of its life. Whether you repair it or not, it is more likely to happen again in the future. IMO for the money it costs I would invest in a new rim.
Ya, if it costs anything over $100 to repair, I'm ordering a new wheel.

06REDGT: Heading there tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
True, and I've also noticed while working at a tire shop that wheels that have been repared were still slightly warped, so they'll always be out of balance. To me, reparing the rim is rigging.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
blackONblack said:
I bent a rim on my old car it had 17" konig unknowns. Tire shop here fixed it perfect for $40
perfect? NO! The only way you damage to the rim that you can repair and it be perfect would be if you scratched the paint. The rim will always be slightly warped and vibrate at highway speeds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update: Dropped the wheel off to be repaired today. Total cost of $110. The inside was bent just as bad as the outside. To make matters worse, Enkei discontinued these wheels so my chances of finding another one are slim.

th0ughtless said:
blackONblack said:
I bent a rim on my old car it had 17" konig unknowns. Tire shop here fixed it perfect for $40
perfect? NO! The only way you damage to the rim that you can repair and it be perfect would be if you scratched the paint. The rim will always be slightly warped and vibrate at highway speeds.

What expertise/experience/knowledge are you calling on to make the statement it will always be slightly warped and always vibrate at high speeds?
Just curious if its an opinion or if you know as fact.

The way the repair was explained to me, the wheel will be like new. The bent area gets heated to over 300 degrees so it can be machined back to its proper shape. I can't see how it will be warped all the time after being restored to it's original condition?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I used to work at a tire shop and most of the people that had their wheels "repaired" had actual weld spots on the inside of the rim where somebody just tried to bend the rim back straight and it cracked, so they welded it. Thats the only way I've see it repaired around here cuz everybody is a cheap ass in this area. Now that you mentioned that they're going to heat up and machine the rim to restore it to its proper shape, I'm sure it'll come out right.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I hit a pothole and bent my stock GT rim. No tire damage, but the paint is cracking at the bend. I fear that if I have them bent back, the paint will come off. Since there are no vibration problems, I'm gonna leave em alone till I need new tires.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts