G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered K&N air filter for the stock replacement.
I HAVE HEARD people having issues with it but others have no problems with it... I loved having it in my Cavalier and it gave conciderable improvement.
Now I was just wondering... how many people have used this and how many people like it/have had problems with it?
Lordco should be getting it in on Monday costed me $49 CAD+taxes.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
I like my K&N, uped power a bit. Not a whole lot, but I am able to tell the difference, say, 6-10 hp. No problems just yet, but I imagine since the filter comes pre-oiled, some may have too much oil. That excess oil will find its way downstream of the intake, maybe gumming up anything it passes. I'm keeping an eye out for anything going bad along my intake.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good I hope this doesn't dissapoint me.. it did me well in my Cavalier :). I don't want to wait until Monday!

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
Have you seen the stock element?? When I went to exchange it with the K&N, I was nearly outraged. The stock unit looks like some sorta high-falutin' European car air filter -- not very free flowing, apt to clog up real quick, and highly expensive no doubt!! If anyone can't afford the CAI right now, at least get the K&N to replace the stock unit.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DartBaron said:
Have you seen the stock element?? When I went to exchange it with the K&N, I was nearly outraged. The stock unit looks like some sorta high-falutin' European car air filter -- not very free flowing, apt to clog up real quick, and highly expensive no doubt!! If anyone can't afford the CAI right now, at least get the K&N to replace the stock unit.
Exactly why I'm buying K&N because I can't afford CAI right now lol :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
NOOO! Don't put it in! Oiled filter will more than likely ruin your MAF! I had one in my 92 Beretta and it was FINE, but my Pursuit just hates it! Alot of other ppl have had problems as well. I strongly advise against it! Maybe a good option is spray it down and use it as a dry filter? IDK if you can with those though, don't see why not?

·
Registered
649 Posts
^^ I have an oiled filter on my CAI and I have not had any problems. With any oiled filter I recommend wiping the filter down with a paper towel then let it sit out for a day outside of the box with paper towel on either side. This will absorb any extra oil from the filter. I set a cloth inside mine for a day or so and have not had any problems. No CEL's in the 3 months I have had it on the car. I must say there is more force from a CAI then there is from the stock air box.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I'm going to have to say i really doubt the filter gave you 6-10 hp when most FULL CAI barly make that on these engines.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I met a guy in town with a cobalt (2.2 ecotec) that said the K&N CAI made his exhaust louder. Doesn't seem likely to me, but is that possible?

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Maybe he just said that because his car sounded louder though? Like when you put the cold air intake in, you remove the air box resonator so you would hear more of your intake.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
XStorm43 said:
NOOO! Don't put it in! Oiled filter will more than likely ruin your MAF! I had one in my 92 Beretta and it was FINE, but my Pursuit just hates it! Alot of other ppl have had problems as well. I strongly advise against it! Maybe a good option is spray it down and use it as a dry filter? IDK if you can with those though, don't see why not?
Meh.. it doesn't ruin the MAF mearly' just throws it off.. I had a cheap CAI in my cav that did that I just threw stock in again and works just fine... I could have put a paperclip in it if I really wanted to be picky but i didn't want it to suck on the gas lol.

As for it being over oiled I wont worry about too much I'd probably wash it down then recharge it myself (I've got a recharger kit laying around :p) So I can be sure its oiled just right but K&N in my cav did me well so I don't see why not.. Thanks for the heads up tho thats what I've been hearing about not just here but on CSS as well. Oh well worth a shot worce case scenario if it triggers it within 14 days I'll return it.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
FYI, I was only guessing at the HP increase. To be more accurate, it does have a little more 'go' off the line. Maybe not from HP, more like better air flow at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just put in my K&N filter today but I didn't dry out the oil or anything on it at all, so many mixed reviews saying there are no problems and then people experiencing the whole spectrum of issues, I suppose doing what farfromnormal did is probably the safest bet.

Hope I don't end up with any problems :shock:

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
I say definately wipe down any oiled air filter you use or it will cause MAF problems, if you haven't had problems with it yet you will because oil will kill the MAF.
I installed a GM cold air kit and the power increase is about 10hp and the GM PERFORMANCE one uses an unoiled filter.
As the man was saying the exhaust is a bit louder with my cold air kit. Both the intake and exhaust tones changed, I love it.

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
Without the oil on a K&N air filter, you might as well not even be using a filter because it will let small particals through and trust me you DON'T want that to happen.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm getting my K&N filter tomorrow morning, Lordco ordered it for me today. So you guys are recommending just to wipe off some excess oil? or just stick it in as is. Is it hard to change the air filters in our cars?

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
You shouldn't haveta wipe it down at all. I didn't. 2K+ miles and no trouble at all. As for the instalation, you may want to loosen one or both of the worm clamps to ease the 'flip-up' of the air box cover.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts