G5 Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, at 13K miles, I'm getting brake pulsation, so the dealer turns the rotors for free, but the service manager recommends I balance and rotate my tires cuz he says they look like they've never been rotated. Of course, thats BS because I rotated my tires at 5K and 10K. He said theres some abnormal wear on the front tires, so they need to be balanced at least. Of course, I'm not going to bother with it till for sure it needs to be done. I used to work out of a tire shop about a year, but I worked for a bunch of ********, so knowledge was limited. What I was told is that we balance tires to prevent vibration while on the road, given that the rim is straight. Even over 100 MPH, I've never felt the least bit of vibration, cept' when applying the brakes, of course. Where can I find some information that explains how out of balance tires could cause abnormal wear. Its been just a rumor to me. Of course the front tires are going to wear more, because thats your steering. Thats why you rotate them. But out of balance? WTF? lol

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
if there's uneven ware it could need an alignment. tell them to check that and if its fine then you will have the tires balanced.

·
Registered
298 Posts
unless you have hit a curb or big pot hole since you got your car your alignment should not be off, assuming you've done nothing with your wheels. same with balancing (unless a weight fell off), then yeah, you would definitely feel a vibration. If those things are out of wack already, someone at the factory screwed things up.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smokey said:
unless you have hit a curb or big pot hole since you got your car your alignment should not be off, assuming you've done nothing with your wheels. same with balancing (unless a weight fell off), then yeah, you would definitely feel a vibration. If those things are out of wack already, someone at the factory screwed things up.

Thats what I was thinking, but I don't feel any vibrations at all.

As far as alignment goes. I haven't hit anything that would obstruct my alignment. Everything is perfectly straight as far as I can tell, and If I let the steering wheel go, it continues to ride perfectly straight down the road. I know theres other adjustments as far as caster and camber that you wont notice unless they're way out. I always checked the wear whenever I had the car up in the air at my friend's shop. I've done plenty of alignments at the shop, so I know what to look for. I'm going to check her out when I get back home tonight.

The only thing that threw me off was when he said out of balance tires would affect the wear. I know if you felt vibration, then of course, the tires are taking alot more heat than you feel, but if it rides perfectly smooth, even at high speeds, I don't find that to be likely.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokey said:
exactely (y)

looks like the bs flag needs to come out on them...
Oh, definitely. I know he was BS when he said the tires were never rotated when they've been rotated twice and on time. It just kinda made me curious to find proof that slightly out of balanced tires could wear unevenly. Especially since I don't feel the least bit of vibration at any speed.

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
:!: :!: If the front tires are out of ballance you will feel a vibration in the steering wheel ( ALWAYS )
Out of balance tires will wear much faster than normal.
Sounds like an alignment problem if its wearing tires faster than normal, because you say no steering wheel vibration.

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
I'll say that an "out of round" tire will probably wear unevenly, but I'm not entirely convinced that a poorly balanced tire will cause noticeable uneven wear. If you think about it, they don't put weights on your tires to balance them; they put weights on your wheels to balance them. It makes sense to me that unbalanced wheels/tires will cause more wear on your suspension and hubs than on your tires. But then again, I am not an expert and could be entirely wrong.

·
So Delicious !
5,288 Posts
out of balance tires WILL wear faster and eventually become out of round due to the tire bouncing because of out of balance.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"out of round" means the steel belt broke inside, which is usually caused by the alignment when the tire gets worn like crazy in one spot or can also happen when your tread is almost gone. The cars fine, the alignments fine. I checked the tires today and they're fine. It was just them BS'n me to get money. Thanks for your input guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts