G5 Club banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Most good auto parts stores will carry AC Delco spark plugs.
NAPA and carquest do.
I like how you noted "good" auto parts stores... all we've got here are Advance Auto and AutoZone and while the guys there are mostly helpful, they really tend to not know their collective ass from a hole in the ground. I seriously have to feed them part numbers all the time, if I tell them what I'm looking for, they just get this blank look until I give them a part number they can punch into the computer.
I guess I'm just going to have to start driving to the next town over to shop at NAPA and O'Rielly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was unaware my G5 GT came stock with Iridium plugs. OE for The 07 GT is ACDelco 41-103. I want to try NGK Iridium IX plugs. Anyone tried them?

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
I was unaware my G5 GT came stock with Iridium plugs. OE for The 07 GT is ACDelco 41-103. I want to try NGK Iridium IX plugs. Anyone tried them?
I just swapped my plugs last week with another set of the stock AC Delco plugs. I had 92,000 miles on the stock plugs, and it drives noticeably smoother now. I can't imagine why another type of plug would be better when the stock plugs work great. Are you experiencing some symptoms that indicate a spark plug problem?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just swapped my plugs last week with another set of the stock AC Delco plugs. I had 92,000 miles on the stock plugs, and it drives noticeably smoother now. I can't imagine why another type of plug would be better when the stock plugs work great. Are you experiencing some symptoms that indicate a spark plug problem?
::shrug:: Not really, but I do feel I've lost a little bit of throttle response and maybe a tiny bit of power, I change the air filter and oil, maybe the plugs need changed, I'm at about 52,000... I've just always liked NGK plugs. I've used them in every car I've owned, and the cars I work on (I mean my family members', I'm no mechanic) and have never had a single problem. But I can't specifically say I've had any problems with the stock ACDelco plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If they are not very expensive, you could give them a try. You really have nothing to lose.
Yeah that's what I think. I doubt very seriously that those NGK's would affect my car negatively, unless I screwed the gap up. They're the same price as the stock ACDelco plugs for my GT, so I figure, what the hell. How do I know if something works better or worse, if I don't try it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sooo, I had far too much trouble finding the NGK Iridium IX plugs, so I got the stock ACDelco plugs. You know what I find strange? The Manual says spark plug gap should be .040 , but there isn't such a plug. The ACDelco's are gapped at .043 and says "DO NOT CHANGE GAP" , almost all other plugs for the GT are gapped at .044 . Now I don't think the .003 extra gap will hurt anything. Just sorta wondering why even the OE spark plugs don't meet the gap posted in the manual.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
I checked the gap on the set that I bought and they were all just a hair under 0.043", but they still matched the gap from the stockers that I removed so I didn't try to adjust it. I don't think you'll have any problems with the spark gap.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yeah that's what I think. I doubt very seriously that those NGK's would affect my car negatively, unless I screwed the gap up. They're the same price as the stock ACDelco plugs for my GT, so I figure, what the hell. How do I know if something works better or worse, if I don't try it?
its because iridiums arent supposed to be gapped.

thats why some of us choose to go with ngk coppers.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I had bosch platinum +4, totally fucked me. combined that with a dirty air filter/MAF, and it caused misfires so badly that i broke both my crankshaft and camshaft sensors.

stoy oem kids. unless you know what youre doing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
back to the spark plug topic make sure to get all the dirt and shit from around your plug before you pull them out. if not then all that stuff can fall into your cylinders and scratch up your walls creating mass blow by gas and extreme lack of power. its a simple do it yourself repair but you just gotta make sure you do it right.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
back to the spark plug topic make sure to get all the dirt and shit from around your plug before you pull them out. if not then all that stuff can fall into your cylinders and scratch up your walls creating mass blow by gas and extreme lack of power. its a simple do it yourself repair but you just gotta make sure you do it right.
I'm not sure of the 2.2 is different, but the 2.4 ignition coils have a gasket that keeps dirt and moisture out of the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
49 Posts
its because iridiums arent supposed to be gapped.

thats why some of us choose to go with ngk coppers.
This is not true.... NGK iridium plugs can be gapped....
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/installation/index.asp?mode=nml
Watch the video under "Gapping"

As a matter of fact, the stock ACDelco's say on the box "Gap to vehicle specifications" but when I bought them it said "Do not change Gap"

Actually... according to some quick research, ANY retail spark plug can have the gap adjusted with the right tool.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts