G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what this is but when I start moving after starting my car, I can hear this really loud click coming from the front of the car. It's kinda like a metallic pop. it really bothers me. Can anyone help?

·
Banned
4,998 Posts
Can you hear clicking as you keep driving? What about from outside the car? Can other people hear a clicking?

First guess, it sounds like a CV axle, but get back to me on those answers if possible.

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's usually only the one time just as I take off but you can hear it from outside and yes other people can hear it. Doesn't usually keep happening and not after I've started moving.

·
Banned
4,998 Posts
Taht could be. If he has slotted rotors, there could be an edge catching on the slots and *******ing back in place. Not sure if that would happen on normal rotors....might though. BUt it's definately something mechanical. Try jacking it up, put it on jackstands (under the LCA's to keep it from drooping), and put it in drive. See if you can hear anything.

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have slotted rotors. Just thought you'd like to know. I'll jack it up this weekend. I'll check it out and update yall with what I find.

·
Premium Member
12,863 Posts
Does it almost sound like if your pads were stuck on the rotors, and once you start moving they unstick?
It could be that, but it would more likely be that the sound is coming from the rear then. The rear brakes could be sticking from the parking brake. It seems odd to me that the front brakes would be sticking.

Do you hear the sound when you put it in gear, or when you start moving?

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you lowered?
No.

It could be that, but it would more likely be that the sound is coming from the rear then. The rear brakes could be sticking from the parking brake. It seems odd to me that the front brakes would be sticking.

Do you hear the sound when you put it in gear, or when you start moving?
I only hear the noise once I start moving. Not when I put it in gear. And it sounds like it's coming from the front of the car.

·
2+2= <*)))><
12,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think so. Because usually it happens just shortly after I start moving. Idk. That could be it but I just don't want something serious to be wrong with my car so I thought I would ask the experts.

·
Registered
17,069 Posts
Well I'll say, personally, that I don't know much about cars. ;)

I do know that, every morning when I leave, it's as if the rotors are abit dew-covered or stickey from whatever crap collected there overnight. When I first shift out of park, and let off the brake, there's a distinct sound like it's sticky. After a few brakes it's gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How do you check the bearings, anyway?
You basically have to take the entire wheel assembly apart, visually inspect the bearings themselves, then relubricate them, repack them and rebuild the assembly.

I was getting a distinct growling sound from the rear so I took the car into the dealer, they just finished replacing both rear wheel bearings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts