G5 Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching out my stock unit for a better head unit, but there will be a big gap under it. What do you put in place of it and where do you get it?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The mounting kit has a slot under the stereo for storage. Check out This Thread to see what it looks like. Be warned, if you have an '07, you're going to have to pay a good chunk of change for the wiring kit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
chaos said:
I am thinking of switching out my stock unit for a better head unit, but there will be a big gap under it. What do you put in place of it and where do you get it?

its called a mounting kit. if you get a head unit you will need to get a mounting kit. it will cover that gap with a little shelf thing that you will be able to put things in.

heres a picture of what it would look like, this is mine.

as you can see there a little shelf thing

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
toolman said:
You could also get a stereo that is the same size as yours is now (Double DIN). I think that this one looks kick ass!
I always liked the way those head units looked. I saw one in a balt and it seemed like it was made for the car. This guys didn't have a flip up screen, so there was no hiding it. I didn't read enough to see if that link was the one I saw or not. I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I don't travel enough to even need to use the navagation controls. So, the price is way too high for me. I'd like to have a touch screen stereo with an internal HD, so I can remove the HD anytime I want to transfer music and video from my desktop. I never really looked to see if anybody made anything like that, but I was thinking about just building one if I can't find it. The small touch screens on ebay are all at a reasonable price. Maybe, 8"? I would just have to build a unit small enough to hide somewhere in the car. and find some kind of media software, like Dell's "Media Direct," or find a Linux OS thats just made for media.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It might require some fiberglass work, unless I find a screen that fits perfectly in place. I've never done any fiberglass work myself, so I'd have to find somebody that can help me with it.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
The AVIC-D3 from Pioneer.... looks like STOCK in the G5... its got the GPS navigation... I use an iPod as a portable HD.. you can play movies off of it too.

I can get better/more shots if you like... I think it looks amazing.. goes in there like it was designed for the G5.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rob said:
The AVIC-D3 from Pioneer.... looks like STOCK in the G5... its got the GPS navigation... I use an iPod as a portable HD.. you can play movies off of it too.

hey rob what kind of mounting kit did you need that that headunit or didnt you need one?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
ajemery said:
Rob said:
hey rob what kind of mounting kit did you need that that headunit or didnt you need one?
I'm not sure... I had Future Shop do it.... the girl who installed it said she took two single din kits together and custom made her own... they also didn't have any wireing harness's apparently so she had to again make one of her own.. everything works chimes and all... I have an '06 so I'm not faced with the problem of having to buy that extra piece like the '07s do.

·
Registered
91 Posts
... send the 07+ wire harness questions (and fustrations) over this way if you got one. I've tryed every harness, hardwiring, etc... since I bought in late 06. Finally ended up with the expensive LAN-III set up (pics avail of the harness now).

·
Registered
349 Posts
I know it's been a month since activity on this thread but I didn't want to start a new one just to ask this question... anywho...

I was just wondering if it is possible to swap out the stock headunit in an 06 with upgraded sound for an 07... I don't care about XM, onstar or nav or anything like that. I simply want the line in connector as it would be cheaper for me to buy an 07 headunit than the wiring harness for my iPod. Would I run into any problems either with the wiring harness or programming of computer components? Thanks everyone,

Corey

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
i believe the upgrade 07 unit uses a diffrent harness then the 06. plus and 07 headunit would still cost a good chunk of change your better of buying an ipod adapter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Und3rPr3ssur3 you have been PM'd.

I am going to be installing my new 7inch monitor and dvd player setup this weekend hopefully and want to know if anyone has any advice for me. Standard size cd player and then a motorized 7inch display also standard size so together they are the same size as a 2 tier setup. I have a adapter harness from a newer sunfire so hopefully that will work and I wont have to get the lan III harness.

Also how has everyone else mounted their 2 tier setups?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
First off you will need to cut out some of the plastic behind the stock radio if the new ones are deep. Second the sunfire harness probably wont work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you have a 07 the sunfire harness will NOT work. The wiring harness is completely different for 2007 for almost every GM vehicle. You can relocate your stock radio to the trunk to save some $$$ as well as chimes and stuff, but you would be better off buying the expensive harness. Its always better done right the first time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the PM, and in respone the 05-06 model decks have a different plug in the back, I believe only 1 set of wires coming from the car to the head, while the 07+ models actually have a 2 plug set up... I'll try and peek though some of my other car audio install rants on this fourm cause I've posted pics and model#'s of what you need to run an 07+ aftermarket h/u...

Does andbody here have an 05-06 balt or g5 with the factory deck already out? I can take my 07 deck out and snap a few pics of what the wiring hareness and rear of the deck for people who wanna see.. I've already had mine out of the 1st 07 I owned, and it only takes about 2 mins to remove guys.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts