G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took in my G5 for it's first oil change since I got it. Went in for one of many free oil changes I got with the car upon purchase. Picked it up, drove home etc etc. Then I drove to work, and BING check engine light. So I get to work, pop the hood, what do I see? The oil cap sitting on top of the fuse box. It looks liek they put oil in, but hello oil cap. So I immediately called the dealer, complained, and I'm going in tomorrow to get some engine shampooing done to clean the splatter up. Now as for the check engine light (luck for them that came on so I opened the hood, otherwise could have been out of oil by the time I noticed) bank 1 fuel mixture is too lean is what the code reads. So I guess that isn't at all related.. unless they buggered up some sensor when monkeying around. So now I gotta take the car BACK to them.. thank you warranty, but after all my issues with the other car, and the money I'm out over buying cars from this place, not happy to be taking it back there for service, when they can't even do an oil change right. Maybe this explains the occasional rough idle.. we shall find out...

I feel better now.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I'd make them change the oil and filter again, god knows what got in there while the cap was off.

I didn't even know a car would run without the cap on, I forgot to put the oil cap back on my old Mazda and it turned over, ran for about 1/2 a second and then stalled out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would have everything from the lifters to the valves checked,you run a good chance of burning a valve,this happened to me cause the dealer fucked up on my oil change,no problem they fixed it cleaned the engine and all,2 weeks later i dropped a valve,they took responsibility for this also...just my opinion atleast have them make a log of it just in case you have problems down the road.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
That reminds me... since my last oil change.. my engine light has come on... Ugh.. I should go pop the hoood see if I notice anything :S

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only drove for about 20 minutes after, think I shoudl ahve them rechange the oil etc?

Taking the engine apart might be a little much, but you are right that it could result in problems in the long run.. I'm at 38,000 KM, I have warranty till 100,000 KM, so antyhing should result will be covered anyways... I'm thinking I might be with you on the idea to change the oil again...

lol.. they are gonn ahave the car for a week.. takes them usually 2 hours just for the oil change.. that'll teach em!

just makes me mad more than anything.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lolo.. I know. they aren't efficient.. I take a ride home when they do any work now.. not like I'm paying for these.. I'll never get an oil change done at a dealer and pay for it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
2 hours for an oil change? Do these people just hire any ol' monkey to work on your car. I'm with mike. You should make them tear it apart and check the internals or buy you a new car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
th0ughtless said:
2 hours for an oil change? Do these people just hire any ol' monkey to work on your car. I'm with mike. You should make them tear it apart and check the internals or buy you a new car.
I'd love to do that, but I'm sure I'd just get laughed at. If there was no oil in it, then for sure.. never had an issue like this before... so I don't really know what to say.. for sure I'm making them do a new oil change and filter.. but beyond that...???? driving half an hour be that bad on the engine just with the fill cap missing? I'm not arguing, I just don't know what to say to them..

I do know that with my service issues, the manager knows me by name, and should have make SURE things were right each time he sees me.. the amount of money I'm out cuz of their imcompetance it's the least they could do.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
you should get reimbursed for it or threaten a suit. Stupid mistakes like that are their fault. They don't have any room to laugh at you, unless you're that ignorant. Did you check the oil right afterwards? Theres no telling how much you were missing. And if you drove back instead of making them tow it, theres room for even more damage.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
th0ughtless said:
you should get reimbursed for it or threaten a suit. Stupid mistakes like that are their fault. They don't have any room to laugh at you, unless you're that ignorant. Did you check the oil right afterwards? Theres no telling how much you were missing. And if you drove back instead of making them tow it, theres room for even more damage.
I'm just about to leave work. I just discovered it when I got here, I'll carefully check the level, and make sure it's high enough.. doesn't look liek I lost much, but only one way to find out. I'll be driving it to them in the morning. at least that is the plan

lucky for them I didn't hit the highway to toronto right after I got that done. but half an our or so of city traffic they might get off this time..

and sucks that it's not really something that I can just be reimbursed, as obviously there is no way of really knowing what damage, if any, has occoured.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
you would be suprised what a couple grains of sand can do to the valvetrain. thats tight clearances....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's very true. hmm..

I just got home, I checked the oil level before I left, seems to be plenty in there. I'm definitely going to be stirring the pot tomorrow when I get there. No significant oil came out, but definitely a concern about what may have gotten in there. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
no problem, good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the car back now.

the manager said I was the second person today to come back with the oil cap off problem. Someone is in trouble. I just got them to do another OLF., and clean the engine. Upon reading the codes, the service advisor corrected himself, apparently the oil cap off (even the dip stick not in tight) can cause a SES light. He cleared that one off, should be fine for that now.. however, he looked in the BCM as well, and I guess there were codes in there, about the seatbelt ground, and communication with the steering controls. These don't flag the ses light. Not sure how you are supposed to know they were in there. There was a line, so I didn't get a chance to ask the service advisor exactely what the problem was, but here's what the writeup says:

Inspect for body control module codes stored in system - Tech Cause: cleared codes and pulled around nff at thbis time - tech number, and 'warranty' noted. Think I'm right in assuming that thbis = typo for this, and nff - no fault found, so no fault found at this time, aka, they dunno, so they did nothing.

Guess next oil change I'll have them check the BCM again, and see if it has come back or not.

*EDITED by PursuitGT

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
You know, I guess that's why they try and push extended warranties, other than the obvious gain of income.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I accidently started mine with the oil cap off once and only got up the street. The engine has a ball blowing air and oil vapor everywhere, but it doesn't hinder it running. I didn't notice anything and that was over 4000 miles ago. :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts