G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I would run the stockers over the winter. After just 3 mths of snow and salt the clear coat and paint on the rims is wearing off. I thought it was just build up from the winter, but after using metal polish to try and get rid of it (Needless to say the rims looked the same - I felt the surface of the rim and the area that the paint/clearcoat had come off was rouch to the touch).

On a side note, I had the stock rims replaced 3 wks after owning the car because the clear coat was peeling off. So this spring before putting the summer rims on I took the severely weathered stockers in to complain once again. Apparently its a winter thing and the GM wheel rep said "Thats normal wear and tear on the rims". If thats normal I would hate to see what they look like after two winters. The service manager at my dealer was pissed that they wouldn't replace them - he said that if there is any more damage shown after next winter he will be filing a TSB on them. I have heard that this may be a problem on the stockers that see a lot of salt and sand over the winter.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do you have any pics of what this looks like? I've got some minor pitting on my G6 wheels, haven't noticed anything major on the G5's wheels. Nothing that looks like the clearcoat is failing though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As of right now I do not have pics - I should have taken some before I put them away for the summer. I will definitely try and take one next time I am out at my grandparents (where I store my winter car parts).

I really love them and wish I could run them all year round - I might sell the rims I have now (summer ones) and buy new ones next yr..... debates. :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
OOoo! Not the first time GM stepped away from responsibility. I'll try to remember to get some pics of my rims this November for comparison over the winter months. PennDOT likes to use salt; they put it on late to melt the heavy buildup of snow. Which means they use a LOT.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
When I rotated and washed the tires on my GT last week, I noticed that there is a casting stamp that says they were made in Taiwan... Maybe GM needs to find a better manufacturer?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
This is where having a base model and hub caps comes into play and I don't run into these problems :p... Maybe sell them while you can and just for the winter get a set of black winter rims and winter tires. (I use to work at Canadian Tire and see the difference). Might cost a little bit more than your wanting to pay but to swap between the two sets of tires/rims will make both sets last a long time and you can get some $$$ back from the ones you'd be selling.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can't buy black steelies for our cars unless you buy direct from GM. Because of the way the rotors were designed the 5x110 off the shelf steelies rub on the discs. So in the long run buying new steelies for my car would have cost me more then the aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
547 Posts
toolman said:
When I rotated and washed the tires on my GT last week, I noticed that there is a casting stamp that says they were made in Taiwan... Maybe GM needs to find a better manufacturer?
Somebody on G6er was saying there's a stamp on certain G6 wheels that they were made by Enkei...so not all GM wheels are crappy

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
jnak said:
toolman said:
Somebody on G6er was saying there's a stamp on certain G6 wheels that they were made by Enkei...so not all GM wheels are crappy
Thats G6 tho... thats better than a G5 apparently lol. :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
You can't buy black steelies for our cars unless you buy direct from GM. Because of the way the rotors were designed the 5x110 off the shelf steelies rub on the discs. So in the long run buying new steelies for my car would have cost me more then the aftermarket rims.
I bought 16" aftermarket black steel wheels back in January for $54.95 each. There are no fitment issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
Where are you currently living? & what model do you drive? Because I bought them too and they did not fit.
I live in New Brunswick. I bought them from a place named Palmar in Moncton. My car is an 06 GT.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This kinda stuff sure makes me happy that I live in a part of kentucky that doesn't receive that much snow and ice. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year we get enough snow that the roads actually have to be salted and plowed.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yeah i got my car right in the middle of december last year i washed it 2-3 times a week lol and my rims still look brand new

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've Had My G5 for about 10months now and have some really bad peeling/chipping of the clear coat on the factory GT wheels. I live in South Florida, so snow, road salt and sand are not at all an issue. I can take some pics at lunch today with my phone, so long as you don't mind looking at dirty rims.

Edit: 2MP phone doesn't take great pics, kinda hard to see

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 year with the 16" 5x110 urgraded rims;
- The polished(or whatever it is) fronts are spotless
- The inside of the spokes are rough to the touch, and are starting to scratch
- The back side of the spokes are really rough to the touch, show gravel and winter wear and are in soem ways losing there color.

Eventually the stockers will be used as just winter rims, and I will get a set of aftermarket rims for the summer. I can stand a chipped,scratched,etc rim in the winter, but I cannot stand it for the summer.

·
Registered
493 Posts
yah that looks bad,maybe you just got a bad batch,who knows,mine did not do that,and if they are to do that this winter,oh well!! cause im having them powdercoated in the spring.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts