G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apprently the UAW has called a nationwide strike at all GM plants.

GM, what did you do?! :oops:

G

·
0 Posts
For Release: Monday, September 24, 2007
UAW shocked by GM’s failure to recognize worker contributions; sets strike deadline for 11 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 24

The UAW announced today that due to the failure of General Motors to address job security and other mandatory issues of bargaining, the union has set a firm strike deadline for 11 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 24.

“We’re shocked and disappointed that General Motors has failed to recognize and appreciate what our membership has contributed during the past four years,” said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger. “Since 2003 our members have made extraordinary efforts every time the company came to us with a problem: the corporate restructuring, the attrition plan, the Delphi bankruptcy, the 2005 health care agreement. In every case, our members went the extra mile to find reasonable solutions.

“Throughout this time period," said Gettelfinger, "it has been the dedication of UAW members that has helped GM set new standards for safety, quality and productivity in their manufacturing facilities. And in this current round of bargaining, we did everything possible to negotiate a new contract, including an unprecedented agreement to stay at the bargaining table nine days past the expiration of the previous agreement.”

“This is our reward: a complete failure by GM to address the reasonable needs and concerns of our members,” said UAW Vice President Cal Rapson, director of the union's GM Department. “Instead, in 2007 company executives continued to award themselves bonuses while demanding that our members accept a reduced standard of living.

“The company’s disregard for our members has forced our bargaining committee to take this course of action,” said Rapson. “Unless UAW members hear otherwise between now and the deadline, we will be on a national strike against GM at 11 a.m. EDT on Monday, Sept. 24th.”

The UAW negotiating team will remain at the bargaining table, Rapson said, throughout the night and up until the 11 a.m. deadline.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Just when the HELL will Corporate America wake up and smell the toast burning? You DO NOT ask for concessions from you workers in order to stay 'in business', then turn around and pay out executives 'bonuses' -- effectively congratulating them for 'a job well done'? A company is NEVER doing well when at least one group of people in it is not sharing in that success. Happy and well-compensated employees are worth more than huge profits.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I guess from an economic standpoint, it's a good thing Chrysler shut down a good chunk of its plant for a week because of the door defect.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Personally I think it's stupid that the UAW went on strike. GM obviously needs to cut worker's pay or the worker's won't have any pay in a few years.

I give thumbs down to th UAW now. :deadhorse

·
Registered
57 Posts
(Long Winded Post)

First off, I'm going to make this clear from the beginning. I am Anti-union.

I see and hear nothing but greedy spoiled UAW workers. From my Knowledge GM is still the number 1 automaker in the world. Why? well it is from it's people, surely but there has to be a point where you start to address whats wrong.

I talk to a former gm employee every day about the current situation, and it's mind boggling. With Retirement plans, wages, and the overwhelming cost that inflicts continues to hurt gm. The UAW wants everyone to be on their side, oh their the "abused ones" they have it "so bad"... No you don't. I've seen union jobs, all they do is require more labor to do the same thing it would take a non unionized company to do with half the people. And yet they get more wages? When some wise ass won't get up to get a part two feet from him because it "isn't" his job, I have no sympathy what so ever. All Unions do these days are hurt the competitiveness of the American Market.

Some companies like Toyota will never allow a unionized plant... Why? because if the plant goes union they close doors and move. Might be more costly initially but really in the long run? wise decision... The fact is that in this day and age the rules and regulations in America(sorry my Canadian friends, don't know how your labor is set up) protect against the very things that unions first came about for. Whats the need for them now? GREED.

Most companies treat their employees well, if you make your employees happy then why need a union? I don't live in the north, I don't have this blaring pro union view that most northerners in America have. I live in an area where hard work, know how, and cooperation work much better then having the red tape of a union.

Why the rant? because I see a union about to be the biggest reason my favorite auto maker might be declaring bankruptcy in the near future. The number 1 automaker in the world declaring bankruptcy... Surely would be unheard of right? but when unions continue only wanting more and more then it's easy to see, the cost goes up... And to compete with the Japanese and most of all the Chinese, cost=death in the new emerging market. The UAW is shooting itself in the foot. The UAW is swiftly climbing up to the top of my list of evil and corrupt organizations, and Ill save divulging the defacto number one because it's religious and Im not going to spark that conversation.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I hear you Matt, I remember back on the praries, think midwest US, unions are almost unheard of simply because people work for a living. Yet when I moved to Vancouver (think Seattle), it's unheard of NOT to be union.

I just happy to be lucky to work for a company that is the only NON union shop in its entire division.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Okay, maybe some of you work where management is actually civil enough where unions would be superficial. That is rare in this world. I guess they don't teach the history of unions anymore in school, or you folks are too young to have any significant experience in the work force. I can say from experience that, without the support of a union, management would run rampant in abusing the worker -- all in the name of profit. We wouldn't enjoy the standard of living we have today. The cheapest and least complaining worker would always get the job -- as well as a rough and injury prone life. Without unions, there would be no paid holidays, 40 hour week, time-and-a-half for overtime. Even if you were to be on vacation, or a day off, you could be called in to work under threat of termination. If you wanted to be at a significant family event, you couldn't, or else you'd be sacked. Without unions, you can be fired for no particular reason. Unions negotiate contracts between the worker and the company. Without which, companies have no guidelines to follow and are virtually free to use the workers as they see fit. The very reasons why unions may not seem needed is why we still need unions. Why? Because there'd be no one to oversee and enforce the standing laws. The only ONLY time when unions are no longer needed is when there is a federal entity that has the authority and jurisdiction to regulate safe,reasonable, civil, and just working conditions for ALL workers that is impartial to corporate funding.

·
Registered
112 Posts
expenses

It costs GM 2800.00 per car before it is built in health care costs and pensions. They spend more money on that then they do in metal for the car. Each car that is sold by domestic car companies has 2200.00 in added costs because of the marketing of that car.. in other words the brochures at the dealer and those great car commercials you saw that was on tv cost you 2200.00 more on top of the cost of that car/truck. So before GM builds it's car it costs them 5g before it is an idea. When the company is losing billions by building crappy cars for so long (and the public stays away) the union has nothing to stand on. Sorry guys but I owned a Z24 with the v6 and it was the crappiest car I have ever owned.. tin can with door handles. (it is my opinion - I have owned 43 cars)

GM has been losing one percent of there business each year for years.. and when they do things like kill the electric car (EV-1) and take these great cars to the junk yard and get them crushed.. they create bad pubicity for themselves. Remember when NBC was caught lying about their pick up trucks catching on fire in the eighties.. and several of them did that year.. that fall at the auto show they had a fire eating guy in front of the truck displays with music playing in the background " Come on baby light my fire" -

I like to think that our G5's/ Pursuits/Cobalt's were built from Saturn or an independant division in GM because there is no way this was built from the regular way of doing things in GM. The doors fit.. it is quiet inside, no squeaks... 16v engine is great to drive. I think Toyota had a hand in this production (like the Vibe/Matrix) Our cars are the best small cars that ever came from GM. GM needs cars like these to survive. If my dealer did not have one on the lot I never would have driven it.. and it is really fun to drive.

Union guys.. ever heard of AMC, Delorean, Studebaker.. they were car companies but not anymore.. If domestic car companies don't turn things around in the market place they will disappear.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
06yellowpursuit said:
They won't be able to get into the factories unless they are flown in. Strikes can be vicious to temp workers.
If a union striker is violent to a temp worker, arrest his ass.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
DartBaron said:
Okay, maybe some of you work where management is actually civil enough where unions would be superficial. That is rare in this world. I guess they don't teach the history of unions anymore in school, or you folks are too young to have any significant experience in the work force. I can say from experience that, without the support of a union, management would run rampant in abusing the worker -- all in the name of profit. We wouldn't enjoy the standard of living we have today. The cheapest and least complaining worker would always get the job -- as well as a rough and injury prone life. Without unions, there would be no paid holidays, 40 hour week, time-and-a-half for overtime. Even if you were to be on vacation, or a day off, you could be called in to work under threat of termination. If you wanted to be at a significant family event, you couldn't, or else you'd be sacked. Without unions, you can be fired for no particular reason. Unions negotiate contracts between the worker and the company. Without which, companies have no guidelines to follow and are virtually free to use the workers as they see fit. The very reasons why unions may not seem needed is why we still need unions. Why? Because there'd be no one to oversee and enforce the standing laws. The only ONLY time when unions are no longer needed is when there is a federal entity that has the authority and jurisdiction to regulate safe,reasonable, civil, and just working conditions for ALL workers that is impartial to corporate funding.
The current federal regulations has rendered unions in this current day and age obsolete. They had a legitimate purpose when such labor regulations didn't exist. When was the last time that a Union actually prompted a major change that was a benefit?

In addition to federal regulations, each state has their own set of standards. In Pennsylvania for example, the general assembly raised the minimum wage to $7.15, and even made the restrictions reguarding workers under the age of 18 tighter.

Unions had a purpose in the days before federal involvement in matters not germane to the running of the country. Now that government involvement has increased since the mid 20th century, unions have become insignificant and rather corrupt organizations.

Even without a union, workers are protected. For example, Wal-mart has been sued several times by some workers who were cheated out of pay. No walmart worker is unionized, yet they were able to turn walmart in for labor law violations and recieve compensation for the misdeeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DartBaron said:
(Ill try to not make this a flame just thought id put this out there.)

I did goto school, and I did pay attention. I honor ever labor day and remember all the crap our past generations had to go through. Unions then had a purpose, fair wages and a fare day's work. I salute them for the opportunities and work environment I enjoy today. But the question is, do we need them now? nope.

I was raised to work, I don't call in sick unless I'm honestly a danger to myself and my co-workers, I work my job and preform duties that help my company succeed, with that I may not be payed as much as Id like but then again who here can honestly say "hey Id like more pay" ? I work for a small company so I understand that the bottom line is a struggle to overcome. I am at this company to learn my trade, and help the company. Do I need a union to get in the way of that... nope. I have the freedom to switch from 1 job to the next in the factory to do either change overs or do maintenance because we honestly can't afford to have a dedicated Maintenance team right now, would a union change that? yep but Id be out of the job. Fact is most companies when threatened with becoming union pack up and leave town. Unionized Factories are closing doors and moving elsewhere... Why? for the things I mentioned above, the unwillingness to take less of a raise. I have to preform to get a better raise, why should they just get one because they threaten to strike? It's a bully tactic that in the early 20th century and onward into the 70s and probably 80s was necessary but now with the UAW controlling all gm assembly plants and I use controlling very firm here, we have mob mentality.

We all know mob mentality is dangerous, especially for a car company that is a big influence on not only it's own bottom line but for the thousands of suppliers that make parts for their vehicles. My company, we are mostly a supplier to Japanese's companies but we are going to feel the sting of this strike. A product line we produce is supplied to gm, while we don't estimate it will hurt us that much we will still feel it. Just think for other suppliers like us who their whole business might be hinged on their customer, the big gm juggernaut. Pretty shitty right? this strike if it lasts will effect not only gm but thousands of jobs and in our economy this could really really hurt us. Some of you will say "it's gm's fault for not coming to their terms" but I say it's the unions for continually asking for more more more, and making the balance of a fair days pay for a fair days work unbalanced where they get More pay but don't give a fair days wage for that pay.

Honestly If it takes gm declaring bankruptcy to fight this strike I'm for it. I'm for the government coming in and telling these people that they have to go back to work. I'm most defiantly not for the union.

DartBaron- While I appreciate and understand where you coming from, I can not agree with you on this. But thanks for replying in a classy way. I was very afraid that this might turn into a flame war, so I hope my reply doesn't come across as the all nasty "I r god" flame hehe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Minor comment.
The issue appears to have been the funding of continued health benefits for retirees. In my mind, that makes it a stickier issue.
No one (AFAIK) was proposing refusing to honor the commitments made to those who worked a career and retired expecting a certain level of health benefit. To me that speaks well of both GM and the UAW.
The issue was who would fund that benefit. GM had previouslyy but was asking that the UAW take that burden. Apparently they have agreed to establish an independent trust to provide that funding where it might previously have been a pay-as-you-go expense. That strikes (no pun intended) me as a smart move.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
In the 'big picture', unions have had their day, perhaps. Yet, as far as the 'little things' are concerned, management wouldn't give a fat rip about you personal comfort, family life or personal needs. No one large agency could expect to keep up with every detail of every state in every region. Without the negotiated agreement, I'd have to use a truck without heat during winter time if it was the only one left. Thanks to negotiated agreement, I can call off to tend to an ill family member without fear of termination. The company is obligated to supply me with all necessary equipment to do my job so I don't have to overstress my body; and I can't be fired for not doing my job well if not properly equiped. There are, and may always will be, 'battles' to be fought in defense of the worker. Some big, some small. With new technology there are new opportunitites to exploit the worker that must be addressed before they degrade quality of life and/or job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DartBaron said:
In the 'big picture', unions have had their day, perhaps. Yet, as far as the 'little things' are concerned, management wouldn't give a fat rip about you personal comfort, family life or personal needs. No one large agency could expect to keep up with every detail of every state in every region. Without the negotiated agreement, I'd have to use a truck without heat during winter time if it was the only one left. Thanks to negotiated agreement, I can call off to tend to an ill family member without fear of termination. The company is obligated to supply me with all necessary equipment to do my job so I don't have to overstress my body; and I can't be fired for not doing my job well if not properly equiped. There are, and may always will be, 'battles' to be fought in defense of the worker. Some big, some small. With new technology there are new opportunitites to exploit the worker that must be addressed before they degrade quality of life and/or job.
You do raise a very valid point. I agree with you on that, but I also think it comes down to how the company you work for treats you. I get paid health insurance, a competitive wage verses jobs in the area and a safe and clean work environment myself. The management respects and mostly we work well and tend to be very friendly with each other. But I also work for a jap company so maybe different. I think unions in general have to much power but thats my own belief because I still try to believe that with cooperation between management and employees great things can happen. Guess I'm a dreamer hehe.

But I do think some of it falls on personal choice, But I also realize you have to factor in circumstance too. Living in an area with plenty of jobs I can pick which company I want to go with, if a company doesn't care and doesn't provide a safe work environment I leave. I say anyone with that opportunity should rely on themselves to find the right job instead of unions. But in a one company town, like coal mining towns I can see the need somewhat.

*sigh* brain is beginning to break, so many con's and pros to the whole issue. I'm just glad that Gm and the UAW worked something out so our economy doesn't suffer.

Btw "more toy recalls" made in dun dun dahhhhh china... If we have one competitive edge over china is that our best ally is Japan and the U.S. Our competitive edge is quality(goes for you pesky Canadians to the north as well.) something I think we would all do well to realize. Because lead in children's toys is frightening.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts