G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The space under the tach has the DIC display. Good. The space under the speedo has....nothing. Blank space. Wasted space. I've put it to GM to make 4 smaller engine stat readouts, assignable by the driver at the bottom of the speedo. Also for more engine stats accessible to be displayed in these new windows. ALSO for it to be retro fit capable in the G5 (and Cobalt, if it has the same cluster). I wanna see more info at once, and the stock setup leaves me highly tempted to cycle through the whole damn DIC list quite often. What's everyone think about this?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If there was anything I would want to add would be the Direction/Heading. I would like under the speedo to be just the temp and direction/heading. The rest could be scrollable under the tach. just my .02

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coool idea! 8) I think GM may balk on that, though. Not sure how small they are these days, but the compass would mean adding a 'system' to the car. They'd only need to put in the new display/speedo dial and reflash the computer to have stats displayed there. I believe that to be wholly possible. Part of my G5 GT purchase deal was to replace the factory stereo with the in-dash 6 CD stereo option. A simple component swap and reflash.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might be a while. I found I have to submit the idea to a certain GM department on a form letter I downloaded to fill out. I'm asking for the modification, that it be retro-fittable, AND that I have fellow G5ers that ARE interested. Damned bureaucratic red tape paperwork. If ANYone knows of an ear they can bend, by all means please do! The letter goes out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update folks, and it ain't good. Keep in mind that I tried to word my letter to them as a suggestion. Apparently, the legaly timid pansies at GM thought I was selling the idea to them. I described what it was to do, where it was located, and that there is an interested group in the modification.

"It has been determined that General Motors has no interest in acquiring any rights you may have. We regret our reply could not be more favorable. However, we appreciate your interest in General Motors." :huh:

Idiots. If anyone wants to pursue this, they're welcome to. Ref: ND file #278903. Mail to General Motors Corporation, New Devices Section, Mail Code 480-210-701, 30001 Van ****, Warren MI 48090.
:(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just send them another letter with that reference saying you are a owner of a G5 and you are only offering what you said as a suggestion of some minor changes that could be made to the G5 guage cluster, that would bring it up to date with almost all other GM models. Doesnt seem like much to ask. Oh and shoot for a more accurate fuel comsumpion system, ours sucks, my parents drive a 06 impala and theres adjusts everytime a varible is changed....like going down hill the engine doesnt work as hard so their mileage goes up and so on

·
Registered
547 Posts
Our fuel economy reading is an average. Some vehicles have both an average and an "instant" reading that tells you how your economy is on a real-time basis.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Doing it on paper is too much work, I wish i could lose one of my trip distance meters, and get a instant milage calcualter flashed in, that would be ideal. A drivers info center that could be custom selected by the driver at pick up would be awsome, and if you didnt want to it would just come with a default setting from the factory. That would be awsome, where do i find this form thing to send to GM, I will help you out on this Dartbaron

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simply Google GM and, New Devices Section...you can only submit the idea via mail. Check out my latest post above for the address. Maybe you'll have better luck, being the second submission. Make sure you stress you aren't interested in rights; seems they don't want to get in a legal wrangle. Mention the file number, and include the
url of this thread, just in case they want to see the 'proof'. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Keep in mind... this is marketed as an affordable family car yet still sporty... if you want something with digital guages and more accessories you may want to concider something like a Cadillac because any additional accessories boosts up the price. Best bet if you want those accessories is just to buy them cuz it aint going to happen with the future G5's! Example.... I have the PIONEER AVIC-D3 dvd touch screen gps navigation system deck which does everything from a digital dash to direction/compass probably costed way cheaper than probably to have a GM factory installed equivalent. It has everything from trip ometers, voltmeters, gforces...its pretty good but thats just my input at least.

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
mazda_2_pontiac said:
Doing it on paper is too much work, I wish i could lose one of my trip distance meters, and get a instant milage calcualter flashed in, that would be ideal. A drivers info center that could be custom selected by the driver at pick up would be awsome, and if you didnt want to it would just come with a default setting from the factory. That would be awsome, where do i find this form thing to send to GM, I will help you out on this Dartbaron
I wish the trip meters would not max out at 999 miles. Then, I could use one for determining my gas milage and the other for monitoring my oil changes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
toolman said:
mazda_2_pontiac said:
I wish the trip meters would not max out at 999 miles. Then, I could use one for determining my gas milage and the other for monitoring my oil changes.
mine does not stop at 999

·
Super Moderator
12,861 Posts
Weird. Mine only shows three digits and then one decimal place. I've never actually watched it roll over to zero, but I've never reset the second one either. It shows the same miles as the odometer, but only the last three digits + tenths.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts