G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, thinking about getting a sun roof installed in my car but i want it to be the one that comes n the gt or ss. so i was thinkig about going to a gm/pontiac/chev company and seeing if they could do it. anybody know how much this would cost around? i herd it is better then a after marker one bought offline.:p

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
aftermarket sunroofs leak
i disagree. i said this in another thread recently, but i've had two cars with aftermarket sunroofs that worked perfectly for many years - never even a hint of a leak. on the other hand, the stock sunroof in our cars suck. i would actually recommend to the op that you look into getting an aftermarket sunroof rather than the oem part.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an aftermarket in my G5 and no problems what so ever. My old car also came with an aftermarket one installed when I bought it - never had any problems.

I think people think that aftermarket sunroofs leak way to easily. I've seen many aftermarket sunroofs and to be honest, I have never seen one that leaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is a good site to look and maybe buy one off, i live in Nova Scotia and there is no shops, NS sucks ! lol. also looking for some white mirror covers and a g5 front bumper with fog lights like the gt style, if anyone has any idea where to buy them. thx guys

·
Registered
100 Posts
The easiest way to get a sunroof like stock is to cut the top at the pillars and switch with one from the SS/GT scrap. Expect an arm, leg and you first newborn as cost if you do it from a stealership

·
Registered
780 Posts
the easiest way to get a sunroof like stock is to cut the top at the pillars and switch with one from the ss/gt scrap. Expect an arm, leg and you first newborn as cost if you do it from a stealership
lol.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
actually... aftermarket is better than stock... it won't leak and comes with a lifetime warranty... just don't even attempt it yourself though!!!

A local company here charges approx $500 for the kit and $300 for the install and you can have a fully functional, stock looking sun roof...

IN FACT they are the ones who install them for dealers. I just happen to have an account with them. Dealers don't do everything onsite, they farm a lot out... the only thing they do on site is mechanics work.

GM Doesn't make "sunroof kits" to convert to factory installed sunroof, the dealer will contract it to a local automotive styler company to have for warranty approved install... thats all.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
if it wasnt original to the car....how does water drain out of the sunroof?
The company I deal with for Katzkin is the same company that also does sunroofs as well... they are a wholesaler to automotive dealers. This is the same place where steve went to get his Katzkin done in his car which he wanted leather seats from the dealer, paid for at the dealer, dealer farmed out to a wholesale shop basically.

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
The company I deal with for Katzkin is the same company that also does sunroofs as well... they are a wholesaler to automotive dealers. This is the same place where steve went to get his Katzkin done in his car which he wanted leather seats from the dealer, paid for at the dealer, dealer farmed out to a wholesale shop basically.
lol that doesnt answer the question he asked.

·
Registered
269 Posts
the aftermarket ones arent made to drain like the stock ones. the water just sits on the rubber seal and thats how they leak

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
the aftermarket ones arent made to drain like the stock ones. the water just sits on the rubber seal and thats how they leak
lol thats not true, they have a drainage system.

back in the old days yes that would be true but that is not the way things are now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts