G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on g5gt.net there is a company(rebelmotorsports) thats running the eaton sc on the g5 2.4.Looks promising maybe not as much as hahn turbo but choices are good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
Everyone is jumping the gun on these. I dunno...
u may be right, but its only 7.5 looks to be a very safe amount of boost considering the ss/sc's are pushing 15psi. it appears to be senior browns car that they r testing this on.
im going to jump on the first one that is not too expensive, looks to be able to work with stock internals and i have confidence that it will be durable until i decide to get rid of my g5

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, but our cars are only rated to handle the amount of torque the engine is already producing. Thats why I am saying that people are jumping the gun on this and don't fully understand the repercussions of installing a S/C or Turbo on either setup.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I sort of wish they come out with a 3900 SCer :p

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
farfrmnormal said:
Yes, but our cars are only rated to handle the amount of torque the engine is already producing. Thats why I am saying that people are jumping the gun on this and don't fully understand the repercussions of installing a S/C or Turbo on either setup.
Thats not quite true only two things on our cars are weak and thats the half axles and the clutch.7psi is easy on your stock internals,this SC they have is the equivelent of stg1 on the ss/sc,now if you go stg2 or 3 then you have to upgrade your pulleys probly to a 2.8 or 2.9 and your injectors as well.The2.4 in a manufactures lineup tends to get higher HP numbers than a 2.0.They just use 2.0 all the time cause its easier to manufacter.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
farfrmnormal said:
If you read the GM rating the max torque rating is what we are producing now.
I've read it and you are partcially correct,but the max torque rating does not imply FI.And this gm master tech says it refers more to Warrenty(half axles and clutches) than anything

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have no sc or turbo and i'm putting out 214hp and 211torque, so you tell me more of what you are referring to????????

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am referring to the long term effects of putting the transmission and other OEM parts under stress. There is no real evidence that stock transmissions and axles etc can handle it. Hence the rating. My worries are for long term use. How long are "normal wear" parts going to stand up, along with other parts the would normally be covered under warranty. I am not speaking from experience with my car, but from past friends who have experimented with turbo's etc on newer vehicles who have not had 20K or more testing before release. What I am saying is, long term and most people want to own their car long term - stock parts I don't believe will be able to stand up to the extra force being put on them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
farfrmnormal said:
I am referring to the long term effects of putting the transmission and other OEM parts under stress. There is no real evidence that stock transmissions and axles etc can handle it. Hence the rating. My worries are for long term use. How long are "normal wear" parts going to stand up, along with other parts the would normally be covered under warranty. I am not speaking from experience with my car, but from past friends who have experimented with turbo's etc on newer vehicles who have not had 20K or more testing before release. What I am saying is, long term and most people want to own their car long term - stock parts I don't believe will be able to stand up to the extra force being put on them.
Got you,so true,I do agree.A FI engine will wear quicker than one that is not,i beleive that the ss/sc will wear down before ours also

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i have heard by putting on a super charger or turbo on your car will cut the motors life in half never mind everything else on the car tranny etc... i am not willing to take that risk

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, the SS/SC was built, but not built to last. I think the 08 version that will be released will be much better - but as with every new line of vehicle, you have to work out the kinks.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
Yes, the SS/SC was built, but not built to last. I think the 08 version that will be released will be much better - but as with every new line of vehicle, you have to work out the kinks.
blackONblack said:
Is the 2008 Cobalt SS/SC being produced in the states? It is disc. in Canada last year for SC was 2007
There is no 08 Colbalt SS/SC it was discontined due to lack of sales said by GM. In fact there is not even a SS 2.4L trim, still a 2.4L but rebaged to just sport I belive not Super Sport anymore

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
th0ughtless said:
wow, they discontinuted the SS? Thats too bad, cuz I really liked that model car.
Its rumored that the real reson for the discontine is because they where having emmition issues and high rate of intercooler failers. Also rumored that with those two major issues at hand that they just dropped it for the 08 model year as there will be left over 07s for cutomers. Also in 09 due for the colbalt is a complete redisng and the SS will get the Soltice GXP/ Sky Redline's turbo charged 260 HP 2.0L to be squezed under the hood for that chassie setup.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts