G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my oil changed and I would like to convert to synthetic oil. Does anyone have any specific information on which brand(s) is/are best for out engine, or doesn't it matter? If not, which brand(s) is/are generally better?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Pricey for the good stuff, Mobil-1 or MOTUL are good. I personally use all MOTUL fluids.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have always had great luck with mobil-1. i know a lot of people use other brands and they all seem to work nicely as well. just make sure that whatever you use is on the approved oil list from gm.
Perhaps you could post a link to said list?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Perhaps you could post a link to said list?
Don't think there is a "list" per se.... GM sets up oil specs to meet or exceed when you purchase oil. Look in the Owner's Manual,,, and it will say meeting GM xxxx (four numerals).
Look at the oil brand container you wish to buy to make sure it meets or exceeds the "specs." Pretty sure,, major brand synths., WILL exceed!!

GTO 1

·
falkor!!!
23,478 Posts
Don't think there is a "list" per se.... GM sets up oil specs to meet or exceed when you purchase oil. Look in the Owner's Manual,,, and it will say meeting GM xxxx (four numerals).
Look at the oil brand container you wish to buy to make sure it meets or exceeds the "specs." Pretty sure,, major brand synths., WILL exceed!!

GTO 1
haha, but there is a list ;-)

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I a SUPER PARTICULAR about my cars,, I have a local family business do mine. Was a Pontiac Dealer, but the Dad retired, so the son runs it as a regular garage. I bring all the oil/filter. They supply the labor, cange oil, oil filter, dispose of all that, check tires/fluids/lube etc... for $12.50. But you won't find many down home places like that out there very often. If you do, hold on to 'em!!

GTO 1

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Good deal on the change GTO... considering the time is money, and they dispose of the oil and give you a routine inspection.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts