G5 Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm not here to say that I'm running big in the WHP dept, but when participating in occassional drag racing it's important to think of a few factors that not only can make you much faster, but alot safer too!

tires, tires, TIRES!!! What to have? What size for your application? PSI to temp ratio?

This brings up alot of good questions, but I'm very very new into the sport, but would like to become a little more competitive (just for fun) over the next few years. And being soo new, don't really have a sweet clue what to look for in tire selection in my applicaiton, or even for what conditions I may run.

Does anybody want to share their experiences, advice, or even a "dumbed down" rules of thumb sorta solution to help aid myself, as well as others I'm sure gain this precious knowledge.

Now in my specific app, I'm running a nearly all stock 2007 2.2L, FWD G5 and at the most next year will be around 180-200hp on engine. I currently have 215/40ar17's which are great for the street, very poor for the track and I'd like to even buy 2x rims/ tires spec set aside for track use.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What mods are you planning in order to get up to 180-200HP?

G

·
0 Posts
Get a lightweight flywheel is the best thing you could do for less.

It takes 1 HP to pull 10 pounds. So in retrospect, if you lighten your car by 100 lbs, you free up 10 HP at the flywheel...

go lightweight wheels, because rotating weight weighs more and takes longer to move.

upgrade to a 2.5" exhaust system, or remove all together :D

get a lightweight underdrive pulley.

·
Registered
239 Posts
BTY Elit3 said:
Get a lightweight flywheel is the best thing you could do for less.

It takes 1 HP to pull 10 pounds. So in retrospect, if you lighten your car by 100 lbs, you free up 10 HP at the flywheel...

go lightweight wheels, because rotating weight weighs more and takes longer to move.

upgrade to a 2.5" exhaust system, or remove all together :D

get a lightweight underdrive pulley.
Do they sell underdrive pulleys for our cars yet?

G

·
0 Posts
dunno, I bet they make one for the cobalt, I think its great that the g5 is like a cobalt, we have a brand new car with all the upgrades already from the cobalt.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
BTY Elit3 said:
I'm not trying to pick on you here but taking weight off your car doesn't free up anymore horsepower.

In the 2.2L if measuring the hp to the ground the HP/Weight Ratio is 1hp/22.8lbs
That means that for every 22.8lbs you remove you will feel the effect of an added 1hp, so if you drop 100lbs you will feel like you picked up 5hp. Even though you aren't actually gaining any hp you will actually go faster.

*the numbers used are approximate as the weight and power of the cars can vary in so many different ways.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm for sure getting a full exhaust over winter, however I haven't found an underdrive pully set up for 2.2L, although I personally haven't really tried looking around too much....

... but to the original question, my big thing I suppose I'm asking if for tire set up advice (size, PSI, etc....).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Und3rPr3ssur3 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm for sure getting a full exhaust over winter, however I haven't found an underdrive pully set up for 2.2L, although I personally haven't really tried looking around too much....

... but to the original question, my big thing I suppose I'm asking if for tire set up advice (size, PSI, etc....).
Honestly man, I don't know the answer and you'll probably get more replies over on cobaltss.net. This site isn't the most active as of late.. :?

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Well tire pressure is going to depend on the tire you have, most low profiles are around 30psi though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'm running 30psi on my street 17's, probally gonna purchase seperatly a pair of 13 or 14's on cheap alloys (junkyard). I see alot of guys on the track only run about 8-12 psi there.... and where these would be a purpose made, rim and tire combo, could leave them set for general track conditions (just have to change my rims as I get to the track).z

Maybe on the size, it'll be a trail and error.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts