G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owners manual on my US 07 Base says trailers should be limited to 1000 pounds and 1000 miles per year.

I've got a 660 pound teardrop trailer (Little Guy, by brand) and haven't gotten a hitch as I usually use my 4x4 SUV for towing it to the woods but it would be convenient to be able to move it around a bit with the G5.

Who has a trailer hitch? What kind? What do you tow? How's it working out for you?

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I've got a class 1 trailer hitch on my car I use to pull my little utility trailer. I think you'd be okay, just take it easy.

The hitch itself is a "Hidden Hitch" and I bought it from the stealership.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i camp alot and that would be awsome to lug the grear to the mountains
Nope, not just lugging gear. That's where I sleep. I get along so well with tents and the ground. You can more pics of it here.

Generally, for the woods, the SUV goes but it might be handy to be able to move it between my storage place and the house. That's why I was asking about experience with the G5 and trailers.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
thats a friggin sweet trailer

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
thats a cool looking trailer. the g5 can pull that just got to get a small hitch and if you go up hill try and down shirt or get speed befor going into the hill put it might just haul it fine

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
If you go up hills, down hills, use the "I" position on the auto trans, if you have it, thats what it was really meant for. lol

But the 2.2 should be ok with a 660lb trailer, I mean, you tow more than that with 5 people in the car... think about it. 8)

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
McGuyver said:
But the 2.2 should be ok with a 660lb trailer, I mean, you tow more than that with 5 people in the car... think about it. 8)
That's a really good point haha.

I was hauling 600lbs of garbage to the dump the other day with no problem.

·
Registered
641 Posts
denlou said:
McGuyver said:
That's a really good point haha.

I was hauling 600lbs of garbage to the dump the other day with no problem.
Was it old Honda parts? :!: :?:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't pull with manual transmission.

I like your trailer. I've wanted one for a couple of years. I saw a teardrop trailer in the parking lot of McDonalds a couple days ago, and it was being towed with a retro-car. Really cool.

I was reading the G5 owners manual, and it said not to pull a trailer with the manual transmission cars. It said that only G5s equipped with the automatic should pull trailers. Hmmm? Then, only trailers up to 1000 lbs. should be pulled. Most of the teardrop trailers are under a 1000 lbs, and some are only about 600 lbs.

I saw some teardrops that were about 5 feet wide, instead of about 4 feet. Those would be nice, but a person might have to get wider mirrors for the G5, :( I'll stick with 4 feet, and stay with the stock mirrors, and less wind resistance.

(Towing the G5. As a side note to this post, I noticed that both the manual and the automatic G5s can be towed with all four wheels on the ground without harming the transmission; but never should a G5 be towed with a tow dolly, because it may scrape the car due to the angle. So, no tow dollies with the G5. That's a good thing, because I've used tow dollies and they are a pain to deal with for various reasons. )

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Are you sure an automatic G5 can be towed on all four wheels? That would destroy most automatic transmissions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
denlou,

Yes, according to my owners manual, both the automatic and the manual may be towed without damage to the transmission.

During the last few years there have only been a couple of automatic transmission cars that could be towed with 4 wheels down. The Saturn, and I believe some Hondas are that way. Of course, some Saturns use the same engine and transmission as the G5.

Even though I'm sure it says it in the manual, I would call Pontiac to make sure, just in case there is a misprint in the owners manual. It surprised me too.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
According to my manual, it says use Dinghy (4 wheel). Apparently the 2 wheel dolly method can cause damage due to ground clearance problems. (Kinda stupid sounding though, IMO, since the G5 sits higher than my previous vehicle... :roll: )

Btw, if you actually do any towing yourself, it also says: NO TOWING WITH MANUAL TRANSAXLE.

(So I'm guess I'm fcked.)

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
That is because the manual is nearly at its full capacity... unfortunately. The auto can hold more stress. The getrag is a good tranny, but it a little too small for those apps I think.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
It's weird all these discrepencies in our manuals. Mine says it's okay to tow stuff after 500 miles on the tranny. Also the dealer sold and installed a hitch made specifically for the car. You just can't haul anything heavier than class I weights.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts