G5 Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I’m new here but I have a 2008 G5 that love dearly but my transmission has gone out and I could use some help and tips where I could go that won’t break the bank, I could really use some leads please and thank you

·
Super Moderator
614 Posts
Depends on what you mean "gone out". Did you actively take it off the car and look inside the bell housing? Did you lose gears? If you lost all the gears, it may not be the transmission, but your throwout bearing.

If the synchros are dead and the TOB was fine (very rare for this to happen unless you money shift a LOT) you can get a replacement F23 getrag transmission from the junkyard, or you can pay a little extra for a brand new one: Zero Mile F23 Transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what you mean "gone out". Did you actively take it off the car and look inside the bell housing? Did you lose gears? If you lost all the gears, it may not be the transmission, but your throwout bearing.

If the synchros are dead and the TOB was fine (very rare for this to happen unless you money shift a LOT) you can get a replacement F23 getrag transmission from the junkyard, or you can pay a little extra for a brand new one: Zero Mile F23 Transmission
Well it’s cause unfortunately I got in a little accident and a little down the way it started leaking transmission fluid and I was driving and it started going out, it would still switch gears but I could not drive or reverse so that’s why I was wondering if I’d need to replace the whole transmission or what?

·
Registered
'Gremlin' the 07 G5GT (913L)
112 Posts
Well it’s cause unfortunately I got in a little accident and a little down the way it started leaking transmission fluid and I was driving and it started going out, it would still switch gears but I could not drive or reverse so that’s why I was wondering if I’d need to replace the whole transmission or what?
Depends how long it was without proper fluid levels and how hard you were pushing it. If you limped home and havent moved it since, you might be ok. If you havent, I'd try flush/fill before ripping the whole thing out. Might solve it, probably not but a few quarts of trans fluid is definitely cheaper than a whole new trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts