G5 Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my question is: is the trunk bulb fed by a normal 12 volt source? im talking the wires right before the bulb. im asking because i would like to splice a neon transformer into the wires and remove the trunk bulb so that when the trunk pops the neon turns on. im just wondering if the feed for the trunk bulb is essentially the same as a cig lighter source. thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
It should be 12V. If not, you could rig a relay off the trunk lamp to feed the neon transformer directly off the battery.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Oh it's regular 12v of course, just make sure you can put enough amperage through the existing wires so you don't start blowing fuses.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think power draw would be a big concern. i have a sound activated deal that makes the neon pulse with the music and you can safely hook up like at least twelve tubes or transformers or something like that and it comes with a 6 amp fuse.

specific: it says it draws 420 mA. do you think that would be ok?

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
I beleive your good to 10 Amps (10,000mA), I was just looking at the fuse box in my car. I think they run off the interior light fuse so there's no way that one dome light draws 10 amps (the dash lights aren't on the interior light fuse). So you're probably safe with 6 amps.

But to be safe, you could get a solid state relay (the regular coil one might not be able to keep up IMO).

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6 amps is my neon controller, the one i will be using in the trunk is a single transformer that is only 420 mA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts