G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

within the next few years i plan on buying a house so i want to start saving for my turbo now. I have the GT model with complete bolt-ons and tuned. however, when I finally go for either ZZP or Hahn turbo setup, should i change my pistons? or anything else so that i dont easily blow my engine?

I know this might sound silly, but i really want to make sure the car can handle the power. and dont want to destroy my engine with thousands invested to it.

I am saving up now. so very soon i will either start buying parts.. or getting a Kit.. whichever is the best method.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Keep the boost within a reasonable area and you should be fine. Randy has had the ZZP turbo on his 2.4 auto for a couple years now without too many incidents I believe. He would be the best person to talk to about this.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent him a message to find out. Thanks for pointing me the right way.

I look to getting either the ZZP or HAHN kit. Not sure which one to choose

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Most people have good luck with the zzp customer service but I and some others have not. Fruit for thought.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most people have good luck with the zzp customer service but I and some others have not. Fruit for thought.
yea so i have seen.. (when looking up reviews)

i just figure that if i want power out of the dam thing.. Turbo is the only way. And i just want to make sure that it gets done the right way.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Me personally I want a supercharger

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Me personally I want a supercharger
i was also looking at this option.. and the price is about the same.. if i am not mistaken? if a Kit was purchased..

but Turbo would offer more power no? and either way, even if i chose to go with the supercharger, would i need to change any internals? (similar to turbo)??

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Less stuff to change for the supercharger. If you go stage 2 from ZZP you are looking at rougfhly $3k for 100 WHP. Stage 2 Turbo is about 3.1K and adds about 100-110 WHP.

Turbo Install is more intensive, you have the option for ZZP to do install and Dyno Tune it for $1k, I could only imagine it would cost a little less for SC install, but you would need to talk to them.

I am in the SC camp as well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Less stuff to change for the supercharger. If you go stage 2 from ZZP you are looking at rougfhly $3k for 100 WHP. Stage 2 Turbo is about 3.1K and adds about 100-110 WHP.

Turbo Install is more intensive, you have the option for ZZP to do install and Dyno Tune it for $1k, I could only imagine it would cost a little less for SC install, but you would need to talk to them.

I am in the SC camp as well.
I wish they can install for me. I live in Florida. And it's hard to find shops here. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Supercharger has less issues as well..... Jus sayin

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very true. However, if the install is done correctly and I don't abuse the car, hopefully it will be alright. I have always wanted a sound system. So I got it. Now I want a Turbo.

I wanna hear that turbo spool and take off.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I do like me a good spool and blow off but nothing beats a good pully scream ;)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
My supercharger kit on my 2.2 is stage 2 and i have yet to do my internals, the internals for the 2.4 are rated up to 350+ hp So ull be fine.... My buddy just did the ko4 turbo setup from a ss/tc on his gt but the turbos to small and he looses power after like 3000 rpm...

Sent via field of nerfherders.... So fuck yeah!

·
Super Moderator
604 Posts
My supercharger kit on my 2.2 is stage 2 and i have yet to do my internals, the internals for the 2.4 are rated up to 350+ hp So ull be fine.... My buddy just did the ko4 turbo setup from a ss/tc on his gt but the turbos to small and he looses power after like 3000 rpm...

What about the limits of the 2.2? ZZP is only a 6 hour drive from
my place so I would have them install it and tune it, but I would
have to give them a custom configured number for the output,
would I not? If I sit there and say, just add 120WHP from a stage
2, would I be wasting an opportunity (from 161) or should I be
concerned for the internals? Only reason why I would open the
engine up would be the highway (or passing some f-tard driving
a BMW :lol: ). Other than that, I'm a featherfoot.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
2.2's can handle up to about 275 i think, our pistons are our weak point, thats my next mod considering im hitting roughly 262hp to the crank in my 2.2.... Id do the build myself if i were u... Its an easy build, i could probably have one done in an afternoon now that ive done the build anout 4 times now lol

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Seeing as supercharger and turbo yield clise to the same power, it woukd be easier to supercharge right? Too ba I like the sound of a turbo spooling lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2.2's can handle up to about 275 i think, our pistons are our weak point, thats my next mod considering im hitting roughly 262hp to the crank in my 2.2.... Id do the build myself if i were u... Its an easy build, i could probably have one done in an afternoon now that ive done the build anout 4 times now lol

Thanks for the info man. I have convinced my lady to let me do this setup.. lol.. now the last question is..

with all basic tools.. do you think i can do this myself? do i need to take the engine out? etc.

I want to know that if it can be done in one day.. then awsome.

·
Registered
17,578 Posts
haha no. super charger has a meriod of issues. turbo is fairly straight forward.

what is with teh people who have never installed either one..commenting? if you havent done the job...dont give advice

·
Registered
17,578 Posts

sounds like something else is wrong...k04 is plenty of turbo for the 2.4

1 - 20 of 49 Posts