Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Product Name: TWM Short Shifter & weighted shift knob

Type of Modification: Performance - reduces shift by 38%

Price: $150.00 USD

Product Rating: 10

Where you bought it: http://www.twmperformance.com

I absolutely love this product. It takes a bit to get used to the extremely short shift, but once you do the response time is amazing. They are a Canadian company based out of Quebec. I definitely recommend this product.

·
Resident Troll
5,921 Posts
is this "trucker" feeling common in your life? because its okay if it is.

and remember "keep on truckin"

·
Premium Member
12,861 Posts
Can you use the stock shifter ball, or do you need to use the TWM one? I ask this because my wife has forgotten the shift pattern in the past. She thought that reverse was 1st while stopped on a hill. When she started to go, the car started rolling backwards, she got scared and popped the clutch and gave it gas. I can't believe that she did not hit the car behind her...... :shock:

The mod sounds really nice, but I think I'd want to keep the stock shifter ball with the gear pattern imprinted on it. I am sure that you understand why!

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The stock 1 can be used. You will need to break off the 4 clips on the bottom, you will also have to shave down the inside of the stock shift noob so it fits.

·
Super Moderator
1,959 Posts
PPpppbbbbtbtbt!!! LOL ANYthing other than what I drive at work can be considered a 'short' shift! Either Mack or International, both have long throws and an interestingly absence of synchros. Once I hop into my G5 GT to go home, shifting's like nothing! LOL Try to imagine a gear shift so loose at the pivot point that it can wobble all over, up to one 'gate' in any direction. 'Is it in 2nd or 4th?' 'I hope the selector doesn't jump a shift rail as I pass through neutral!'

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could use the original knob if you'd like, but its not weighted accurately so you won't be able to feel the full affect of the short shifter. I will admit, that with this shifter if you just get into the car and forget what gear its in you could be in trouble. So... leave it in Reverse all the time or neutral it before you start the car.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
nice shift knob was it very hard to put on? because i don't think the stock knob is threaded on is it?

·
Registered
341 Posts
i find the shifts with the stock shifter clunky and not smooth does this change with the twm shifter?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
farfrmnormal said:
You could use the original knob if you'd like, but its not weighted accurately so you won't be able to feel the full affect of the short shifter. I will admit, that with this shifter if you just get into the car and forget what gear its in you could be in trouble. So... leave it in Reverse all the time or neutral it before you start the car.
I didn't think that the shift knobs weight would affect the feel. So, you're saying it would be better to spend a few bucks more on their better shift knobs?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, what I am saying is, certain shift knobs are weighted to help you with your shift. The shift knob that comes with the shifter is weighted accurately for the shifter (as would all of their other knobs but they are over priced). If you have extra money and don't like the TWM knob that comes with it then by all means go for it. Most aftermarket good quality shift knobs are weighted for short shifters.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yea, I took a look at all the other shift knobs and they are overpriced. I'm gonna get the shifter pretty soon, but Ima wait till the prices go down on the shift knobs. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this shifter does improve the "clunky" action, however; because the shifter is shorter the gears are closer together and there is a clunk when it goes into gear.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts