G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my oil the other day in my GT (5 spd) and noticed that it had unequal length half shafts (drive shafts), which would explain why there is so much torque steer, pulling to the right. Have y'all noticed this? Do the base models or the automatics have equal length axles?

I'm asking this because it seems odd to me that GM wouldn't put equal length axles on a FWD car knowing that it would suffer from torque steer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
GM and others have done this for years and will probably continue to do so. The base model uses the same transmission as the GT and has the same length shafts.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Thats the biggest thing with front wheel drive is the unequel shafts. And that does make up for alot of the torque steer.

They can make a pretty reliable FWD high HP with low torque steer but they dont want to put the money out as FWD is know as the "econemy" car unfotianlly. Equal drive shafts, a limited slip diffrential, and wider tires up front vs the rear tires and FWD would be much more control able and down play the torque steer alot. As of right now theres no way to fully eliminate torque steer but there are alot of things that can be done to dampen it

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
But most people don't really drive their cars how we think they should be driven, they just slowly putt around so they will never notice torque steer. Because of this, they won't invest to fix the problem for a few select car enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
06yellowpursuit said:
But most people don't really drive their cars how we think they should be driven, they just slowly putt around so they will never notice torque steer. Because of this, they won't invest to fix the problem for a few select car enthusiasts.
I agree but also dont. I know where your coming from and agree on that aspect for like your ford tauras even your base G6 ect. But if there going to make "performance" FWD IMO they need to adress it esp with more high power FWD cars coming such as the SRT-4 caliper and the Colbat SS turbo charged. Hell, even the G6 GTP isnt a cheap car at near 30K if you pay MSRP with tax and tags.... I think that cars of that pricing should be looked at by car companies if they want to contine FWD performance. Its just the next 2-4years before a 300 HP performance trim FWD car will be common. Now 260 is becoming common

·
Original Member
904 Posts
yup, always comes down to quantity over quality

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good points, but I know some times there is an intermediate shaft running trough a bearing that runs out to a point where they can run two equal length, which really dampens the effects of torque steer.

Sorry, I know I'm kinda beating a dead horse here, but this really kinda bugs me, I'm an engineering student at Kettering University (the old General Motors Institute) in Flint, MI, so this just doesn't make sense to me from an engineers view point.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

something like this, (this is from an AWD eclipse I think) one end goes into the trans axle, and the other has a bearing on a mount for the half shaft to connect to.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
maybe they had a weight restriction when they enginered the car?

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
10 pounds, honestly now, lol. my 89 daytona has equal length shafts, makesd a huge difference, I wonder if i could modify the system to work..... might have to take a look see

·
Original Member
904 Posts
lol well hey u never know. im sure if you had good mesurments u could make an inter-shaft work

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
06Pursuit said:
lol well hey u never know. im sure if you had good mesurments u could make an inter-shaft work
ya for sure, I got connections to custom machine stuff anyways.... anyone know if theere are provisions for a mount near the fornt of the engine, aka unused bolt holes....

·
Original Member
904 Posts
none that im aware of. Im sure bolting it to the frame or a solid part of the tranny no? If so then some holes could be made no problem. Its just keeping this thing geometricly(is that even a word lol...its late) straight with the axles and suspention

·
Registered
162 Posts
How would you guys propose they create equal length axles? The transmission is mounted on the right side of the engine and it’s not a wrap around style.

Equal length axles on FWD cars is in fact a very uncommon thing.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
correct, but with an intermediate shaft you can move the axles to a spot where there is room. but now i just thought of something, what kind of torque loss would we be talkin about with an inter-shaft?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was recently reading an article on the new "Performance" version of the Chyrsler Caliber... and they made an huge point about the halfshafts being equal....

So, with considerable forethought pursuant to design intent, it could be done.

But like anything... it may come with prohibitive costs....

I noticed a bit of torque steer on my machine last night... as it was the first time I really wound it up...

While I expected a bit... it was somewhat unsettling... especially in a manual trans car and having only my LH on the steering wheel.

Not to worry... as often as I will probably trounce on it... I don't foresee it as being a problem.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
on the bottle i notice HUGE torque steer. it litteraly dives right

·
PSD=PostSaturnDepression
826 Posts
Its all about LSD... Modifying the cars half shafts to make them equal would most likely be too costly, and have too many engineering hurtles to overcome. Even if somone got it to work on an existing system, who is to say that it will be reliable and safe? A friend of mine had an old ass jetta and he had the craziest torque steering I have ever seen! (has a large turbo setup on the car) and since that time he tested it with me, he had installed a LSD and it helped dramatically. No more driving sideways during launches. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts