G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this may be simple, maybe even obvious.. but what Does the G stand for in G5? While we are on it, what does the SE and the GT stand for?

Now heres a random pic of my car which I thought was kinda neat.

·
Registered
807 Posts
GT. Gran Turismo

I wanna say se Sports Edition?? im probably wrong lol but its as good as my guess gets lol

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I thought GT usually meant Grand Tourer, and SE meant Special Edition, but both are just catch phrases now...

As for the G? Dunno, but Pontiac was using GTP as a performance deignation for a while, and they clearly were going for the BMW/Audi/Merc "3,5,6,8" style of car naming, so I guess they just took a guess.

One other theory I've heard is that the G6, the first "G" car, replaced the Grand Am, hence the G, and was launched with a six cylinder engine... Both ideas are just speculation tho.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was always annoyed by the system they used, I just didn't get it! Why go from G5, then one number up, but from G6, go up two numbers. The cylinder thing is all well and good, V6 = G6(although doesn't it come in a 4 cyl too?), V8 = G8... but 4L = G5? What the duck?!

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I'm on board with the SE= sedan/sport/special eddition/effects indicating a bare-base version with some simple, extra bells and whistles; and GT= grand/grande touring/torismo moniker for those vehicles with racing-inspired enhancemets. As for the 'G', I always thought it was the then-dull GM tihnking to just use the 'G' from 'GM' 'cause they couldn't come up with anything inspirational.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Goddamn I bought a G5.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The G6 was allegedly meant to be the internal code for "Grand Am, Generation 6", but GM decided to keep it instead of going with the "tainted" Grand Am name. Apparently they liked the Alphanumeric system, so they just started using it on the other Pontiac models in order to try and get customers to start refering to their cars as "Pontiac" instead of the model name. It was a vain attempt to try and be like BMW and Mercedes Benz where you were forced to call it by the name of the Marque since the model names were just letters and numbers that were not easy to remember.

As far as the trim names, they're basically just codes. Historically SE = Special Edition, and GT usually meant either Grand Turismo or Grand Touring, but in more modern cars, it holds no special meaning. For GM, LS/LT/LTZ/SE/GT/GTP/GXP/Z06/ZR1/Z28...etc are all just trim codes to indicate the standard options for those trim levels. The only trim codes that ever retained any meaning was SS and RS, which still means "Super Sport" and "Rally Sport", respectively.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The name "COBALT" was already taken. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts