G5 Club banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gt is a week old from the dealer(sat in sun for who knows how long because it was a straight shift). I know body men and such and I've always heard that on a fresh coat of paint or a new coat you should wait before waxing it to let the clear coat cure. Im not sure about how gm paints their vehicles and whether or not its a 1 coat or 2 coat, 1 color 1 clear, but just would like to get a general Idea on it.

Also i haven't even owned the car for a week and I got a rock thrown at my car, it hit about 2 inches before the sunroof, and left 2 small scratches that look as if it got down into the paint itself.... Needless to say Im not happy. Any tips on how I can get this taken care of? I've debated on buffing to see if I can't get it to come out but if it's into the paint buffing won't help.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
The paint is cured in the factory in an oven I'm pretty sure. If not, you're good to go now. Just make sure you take a clay bar to it and clean it up really good, your car gets really dirty in shipping beleive it or not.

·
Original Member
904 Posts
OH YA!!! deffinatly clay bar, the car is filled with god knows how much fallout from the factory from welding and cutting, so CLAY CLAY CLAY!!!!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Immediately.

You should go and buy a claybar from Walmart (Or Canadian Tire if you're up north) and go all out on that car with it (After you wash the vehicle well of course).

What happens is that when you get your car, it already has beat up paint. Between contaminants from the factory, the rail yard, the trip on the railroad, and the trip to the dealer's lot, it sees alot of stuff.

Not to mention, they always have some gregory green ass in the shop do the washing of the new cars coming in. This guy tends to use dirty rags and cheap soap and is generally quite merciless at washing a vehicle.

So when you get the vehicle, its already been through hell, despite being a new car. So a good wash, thorough claybarring, and use of a good cleaner wax is essential.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rock was thrown by a tread from another car. Hit the car with a loud pop at about 60mph so yah I was not happy. But not as bad as it sounded but still quite pissed to have scratches on a new car.

I've never clay bar'd before btw. I used to work while i was still in high school for a detail shop(wash, wax and all that stuff).

As for bugs Im sure ill catch flak for sayin this but I use de greaser (diluted) to get those bugs off... Only thing ive found that actually does a good job except for gasoline which i only use when absolutely necessary for road tar.

So back to the clay bar, what does it actually do? I usually use either mequire's or mothers wax, and a mild turtle wax compound if I'm hand buffing. But it's been awhile since i really went to work on keeping a vehicle shinny... Used to beating the hell outa my trucks haha.

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
clay barring removes all contaminates from the car and brings it down the the clear coat. its a very good way of cleaning hte car, but takes a while to do.

i know the feeling about new cars getting scratched. one week to the day after i picked up my car, i was riding down the street and heard a horrible grinding noise. i pulled over to find a two foot piece of steel in my tire. the part that sucked was that it was curved, thereby scrtaching my door, door sill, fender, bumper, and headlight as the tire rotated. when all was said and don,e it was a 2300 dollar ordeal. so i feel your pain =]

you can find plenty of information on clay barring by doing a search and in the how-to section at

http://www.cobaltss.net

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
When you rub a clay bar (I like the Meguirs one) along the clear coat, any dirt will stick to the clay bar and lodge itself out of the paint.

The best trick to use to tell if your car needs one is to run a finger along the surface (side panels work best), the texture should be silky smooth and not bumpy. Another way to tell is wash the car, it should be all glossy when its wet but it'll loose some of its gloss when it dries. All the dirt on your clearcoat prevents the reflection of the light and thus doesn't give your car a glossy look.

After a good wash, clay, and wax, water should slide right off your car and almost dry itself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Ill pick one up Friday or so. I waxed it today just for something to do. Went with my old trusty and non gimik friend turtle wax 2001. A wax i usually use for winter because it's great at cleaning and lasting. Havn't got to see it out in the day yet, when I finished the light was kinda craptacular so Ill see tomorrow. The thing that has me is the paint as started to spider web. So more then likely if the clay bar and wax coat doesn't help then... Im breaking out the buffer and starting from zero.

Btw what exactly causes spider webbing. I've heard plenty of things but never once have I ever came up with a conclusive answer.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Cleaning with a dirty rag will cause spider webbing, going through brush washes. Using a brush on your car, etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh sounds like im going to have to start putting my father on probation. He tends to steal my washing mits, used them for all the nasty dirt on the bottom of his vehicles and then leave them in the bucket... Tends to burn my bottom sometimes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
yea he only time you are supose to wait and wax your car is when you get it painted at a body shop. you can not mess up factory paint. but if you wax it after you get it painted at a body shop the paint may fish eye.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
ajemery said:
but if you wax it after you get it painted at a body shop the paint may fish eye.
i am a body shop detailer and my boss told me not to use my armor all at all when i wash my own car there since it contains silicone and will also f**k up every fresh paint job in the building since it also causes fish eye

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work for a company that makes plastic injection molded parts for honda, toyota,gm, etc. We have one can of silicone under lock and key. We can't use it anywhere in the plant and probably just needs to be trashed.

Some of our parts are painted and yah, we would be up shit creek without a paddle if that stuff got used.

If it's in an aerosol can you have to really worry about it. If its in a gel format or in any other semi solid form you have to control what gets into contact with it. Which in and of it's self is a problem if you have stupid people who run around not paying attention.

~update, car is clay barred and waxed and all nice and shinny.

·
Registered
167 Posts
fusiongt said:
ajemery said:
but if you wax it after you get it painted at a body shop the paint may fish eye.
i am a body shop detailer and my boss told me not to use my armor all at all when i wash my own car there since it contains silicone and will also f**k up every fresh paint job in the building since it also causes fish eye
yea same here i work in a body show, you also shouldnt use tire shine, that stuff just floats in the air and get all over everything. we use anothe product other that armor all to clean the inside of the cars, its just a multipurpose cleaner and it works great.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts