G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raise your hand...

(Raises Hand)

Today was a very nerve racking day... I was on my way to work and just before I turn into the drive to get to work I get nailed from behind by an Orange County Corrections Officer.

Anyways, FHP was passing, and gave her a Professional Courtesy wave of the ticket, but told her she was at fault... Anyways, I got well over 3k of damages and no way of getting the OCCO lady to pay for it...

WHAT DO I DO???

(pics tomorrow)

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
She doesn't pay for it, your insurance does man. That's how the whole system works, not?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Umm yeah.. don't you guys have insurance down there? pretty sure that's what it is for.. unless the corrections officer was driving without insurance in which case, I think you guys sue them no??

·
Registered
304 Posts
your in leesburg? im in orlando, cant believe i havent seen you. there are NO G5s in central fla. all of the cops here are hateful asses. espcially in winter springs, where i got my only 2 tickets!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow that blows... Which reminds me today I averted t-boning an idiot who pulled right out in front of me. Makes me happy that I have a gt now instead of a big heavy truck, would have never stopped in my silverado...

But on the original topic, As far as cops go, my luck with them has been extremely good. I've gotten out of street racing tickets because I pretty much just told the truth, talked with um and crap. Hell I even helped a cop go change a tire out on interstate while "drunk" as hell off whiskey. So um yah, so far I have no complaints.... *nocks on wood*

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I got a $196 speeding ticket for doing 83km in a 60km zone apparently :evil: today. Arrg... I'm debating on disputing and banking that he wont show for court or just paying it and and being out $171 ($25 off if I pay early). It was an unpreventable (other than if I wasn't speeding) lazer shot from behind a poll (undetectable by any radar detector).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Most state or larger governments are "self-insured" (which means they pay claims themselves from the treasury rather than paying astronomical premiums to a company). The easiest way is to contact your insurance company and they will either process your claim under your collision coverage (you'll need to pay your deductible) and then they'll go after the state for reimbursement of their payment PLUS your deductible. Or they will help direct you to appropriate folks at the state to get your car taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
If the lady was on duty, in a county car, then the county government should be paying for everything. Don't forget to go after any expenses: time lost from work, towing, deductuble, rental, etc. Don't get too greedy, but do try to get fully reimbursed. One way or another, the county is insured. As an added measure, go get a copy of the accident report for your own records!

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Rob said:
I got a $196 speeding ticket for doing 83km in a 60km zone apparently :evil: today. Arrg... I'm debating on disputing and banking that he wont show for court or just paying it and and being out $171 ($25 off if I pay early). It was an unpreventable (other than if I wasn't speeding) lazer shot from behind a poll (undetectable by any radar detector).
If he was shooting from behind a pole, then contest it. Who is to say he was able to get a clear shot.

Also, if it was busy, then you can also argue that maybe he didn't hit your car, but caught someone else near you and mistook it for you. Is there any fact discrepancies on your ticket? You can also request to see records of officer training, records of calibration...etc.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Well I can tell you that there were vehicles nearby and I was trying to get around the semi before 2 lanes turned to one and he would slow down and throw on the 4 ways... but I don't think that would hold up in court... I try to come up with legitmate argument I always forget to ask to see my speed after I get busted.. I have already faught one and won... I have one pending.. and this one... I think just for the hell of it I will dispute it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the OCCO lady was off duty, but still in uniform and in her personal car... forgot to mention that.

But what I meant from there isn't a way for me to get her to pay it, is because I don't have on the police report "she was at fault" meaning her insurance company could deny my claim all together, and I'll be stuck footing the bill.

But I can tell you now, if I get stuck with the bill, I will go after FHP for not issuing a Ticket.

If it was ME who hit the off duty OCCO lady, I would have been given a ticket, and it could go all the way up to attempted manslaughter because of the way cops stick together down here.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Your insurance system in Florida is f**ked man. Up here it's the insurance companies decision to decide who is at fault, mandatory government insurance FTW.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Should be pretty clear cut. you get rear ended, how could it be your fault really?? Can't you get a police report without someone getting charged in an accident?

Rob.. lol.. think you better start slowing down buddy!

G

·
0 Posts
Im fairly certain, that if someone rear ends you, then THEY are at fault. You cant prevent someone from hitting you in the rear, its their fault for either

A) following too close
B) Not paying attention to you stopping

Its her fault cop or no cop, I wouldnt let them push you over just cause she is a cop.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah she is most diffently at fault there is nothing they can say to change thast fact. And your insurance should cover everything for you from the cost of repairs to a rental to drive while you are out of your car.

As with cops using a laser, they aim it directly at your car and others cars being around have no affect on the reading they get from you, its like shooting a gun, but it only takes a split second for it to get your speed and you are done. Laser is the hardest to fight. Radar yes you can argue that there was too many things around for an accurate reading on your vehicle, but I would be amazed to see you get out of laser ticket. But Good Luck on that one. I am happy I just got a reduction and extension on my back to back photo radar tickets, they lowered them to about half on each ticket just for me going in to talk with them about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Went to the ER on wednesday night for a very bad pain in my right shoulder. My shoulder has been hurting me since the day of the accident, but it got to bad to ignore, so I went in. Turns out I have what they call "Extreme Muscle Strain, with Muscle Spasms". They put me on a pain killer and muscle relaxer.

I had to open up a PIP claim on my insurance, and they are talking with her insurance on getting things paid for.

Car is in the shop now. has almost $6k of damage, and they put me in a Mazda 3 base as a rental.

It is now Monday, and I've been released to go back to work tomorrow, but I may not get my car back for almost two weeks. And I HATE this Mazda. Its peppy, don't get me wrong, but it is just so friggen cheaply built. It has a projector low beam set up, which I dislike, cause I can't figure out how to aim them properly, they are set too low and I can only see about two maybe three carlengths in front of me. Not good for the roads I drive on in early morning.

Anyways, I've been fighting with my computer to get the pictures of the damage up, but no luck. Hopefully I can get some of the repair process from the shop.

So It looks like I'm stuck in a POS rental for a couple weeks while my car is being operated on. Hopefully I don't get rear ended in the rental when I go to work.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts