G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not gonna be too long before winter starts here in the NE US. How's the G5 in the snow? GT or base? My ol' Sunfire SE was a blast, damn near good as 4wd! I never got to lower it which proved for the better 'cause it was able to tackle 'deep' snow just fine. Never got any winter tires for it. I only ran all-season tires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
These cars are not too bad in the snow. If you have ABS, it works really well. I'd get winter tires for it though. The stock tires are okay, but not that great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car is fine itself is fine. The stock tires are terrible. Especially if you get mostly an ice based winter. Not sure what they were smoking, but there is no such thing as all season performance tires.

·
Registered
112 Posts
4x4

I have a Ford Explorer for winter driving.. bought it for 500.00 - 2dr, manual. I live on the west coast and we don't get snow often but I did live back east and suggest getting another vehicle and skipping the rust.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Renesis said:
tires with nuts in them are good on ice too, but they're noisy just like studded ones
I like a tire with nuts. None of that cheap stuff. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
So glad I don't live in the north. Just have to worry about the 3 occasions where the white stuff flies *laughs* you guys up in New England see more snow in one falling then I've seen in my entire life time.

Case in point my aunts in Vermont received 3 feet of snow in 1 drop, I may have barely seen that much in the 22 years ive lived in Kentucky all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have the G5 GT.. I dont recommend driving the car with its stock tires in the winter.. I bought myself a set of Winter Tires/Rims.. Heres a pic..

·
Registered
830 Posts
well stock tires are going to have to do for me in the winter, i don't have enough money for winters haha.

p.s. welcome junior ... if you're the guy from nex ... post in the introduce your self.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
yea, i ran stock rims last winter on my car and its something i don't plan on doing ever again, it sucks i just started a new job 2 months ago waiting for my 3 month probation to be done there so i can blow a grand on new steel and rubber and not be worried about getting fired and not having much of a reserve fund but by that time the tire shopps are gonna have work commin out of their ass

·
Registered
830 Posts
soo im really going to have issues running on stocks this winter eh? or is it just the rubber they put on the GT rims?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
i just don't think gt wheels can handle a saskatchewan winter lol, they arnt too bad on snow but on ice i lack a lot of traction

·
Registered
830 Posts
it's ice im worried about ... aren't we supposed to get that el nina shit? we're going to freeze up like a popsicle here in the north :(

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
^ ice is the only thing that scares me. Its so unpredicatable and theres NOTHIN that can be done to be safe on ice FWD, AWD, or 4WD.

However, since I have my jeep now my car for the winter on snowy or rainy days is to stay in my garaged waxed for the next nice day to come out :twisted:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts