G5 Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so in a couple months the snow is going to start falling I am going to be starting to look for some winter tires/rims. I want a good tire but don't want to make my self go broke buying them. Any suggestions for a good all around winter tire?

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think about 1 grand sounds like it will get me something decent

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Its kinda pointless to get 'rims' for winter. A set of steelies do the job better, and if they get marred up, who cares?

Tire-rack should easily have a solution (I am not sure if they ship to Canada though)...

·
'07 Black GT Coupe
2,400 Posts
just did some research for myself..

tires with some of the best reviews (not the cheapest though) seem to be

Dunlop Winter Sport M3
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

in 205/55/16 they are about $175 CDN each.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nighthawk243 said:
A set of steelies do the job better, and if they get marred up, who cares?
yeah i should have said steelies instead of winter rims

·
Registered
341 Posts
if u want to be setting out about $1000, steelies are about $75 a piece so thats just 300 for the steelies. so u want a tire in the nabourhood of $175 a tire. ive herd the cooper weathermaster studded tires r the bomb they have excellent grip, and if u dont want the studs u can get them without they r inexpensive too bout $100.
https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.ph ... eason=Snow
i have michelin x ice tires from last winter ill be putting on and they r good but kinda expensive about $200 per tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my 16" steelies from a place called Palmar. I don't know if they are a national chain or anything. I got them for $54.95 back in january. Added on a set of goodyear nordics at 100 each and they work just fine.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Let me know how that works out Mike. Looks like I get to move out there in the middle of January haha.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha yeah for sure if this winter is anything like our last my rims and tires are commin off, last january when we had that big ass snow storm 3 weeks after i got my car i got stuck at least 8 times, had to get pulled out by the tow truck once now if i would have had winter tires i would have got stuck about half that lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
fusiongt said:
haha yeah for sure if this winter is anything like our last my rims and tires are commin off, last january when we had that big ass snow storm 3 weeks after i got my car i got stuck at least 8 times, had to get pulled out by the tow truck once now if i would have had winter tires i would have got stuck about half that lol
the problem with drivers and winter tires is that they think they are invincible, trust me u r NOT. i thought i would when i first got them, but after a while and some close calls i got the picture. i have gotten stuck with winters and you will still slide on ice. the only place where winters badly outperform the all seasons is in thick snow they bite and grab extremely well, on ice they're good but lets face it your trying to stop a vehicle weighing 1000's of pounds on a practically frictionless surface.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This will be the first winter for my G5 (SE, so I guess it has the 15" wheels).

What's the general experience of going thru the winters (in Toronto) on all-seasons on this car? I did that with a Nissan for 13 years, and another 7 with a Renault, and for the most part I was fine. But I'm thinking of buying snows this year.

Is it really necessary to go to winter tires, or can I stick with the all-seasons that came with the car? If I switch to snow tires (which I'm leaning to), do I need new rims/steelies (what's the difference anyway?), or can I just mount the winter tires on the existing rims? To an extent, cost isn't a big issue, but I don't want to break the bank either.

·
Banned
3,377 Posts
Yeah, you can mount the winter tires on your old rims. People just generally have their nice summer rims on their summer tires and keep a cheaper rim for their winter tires. Also, it's hard to find wide low profile winter tires sometimes, so that's another reason people have to sets of rims.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts