G5 Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand: ZZP
Price: 199.99
Purchased From: http://www.zzperformance.com/cobalt_ion/products1.php?id=540&catid=155

Installation: (Use easy, moderate, involved, or difficult) Should have been easy...
Installation Time: 3.5 hrs.

Any Installation Tips You Have: Yeah, find someone who can weld, its about an inch too short. Comes with gaskets if you fill the form out, no nuts and bolts though. Optional wide band 02 Bung availiable.

Quality of Part: (rate 1-10) 8 for build quality. Read on...
Product Performance: (rate 1-10) 9, huge gains on the top end, you can tell you did this bolt on right away.
Would you Recommend to Others: Uhhmmmhmhm...

Any Other Comments: Got this bad boy in. Looks BADASS. Brought it to my friend to get it on the lift to install. Size it up... about an inch and half short to meet my Magnaflow catback. The thing is, the Magnaflow met the stock downpipe with no problem. I still have to call ZZP and talk to them. Anyways, had a small peice of stainless 2.5" welded in at the end, reattached the flange and it met up fine. Huge difference from the TWO INCH inlet on the stock DP. Also apprently now the flex is welded in, not crimped in like they used to do. Now they just make them short... What a trade off.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
That's not the midlength DP is it? If so I can see why it wouldn't reach without the longer header to extend it to your catback. Mine (midlength) was a bit short until we got a bolt in it and took the air tool on it and it brought it flush against it. Maybe they welded the 3 bolt flange flex pipe (that works with the stock header) onto the midlength piping/cat by accident? That would also explain why it's not crimped.

It looks like the exit into the catback is wider than the piping before it... you didn't get a 3" DP with 2.5" exit somehow did you, or is it just the way the picture was taken. It's also very confusing because in the last picture it looks opposite, like the exit (mouth) is wider by the flange. I think that one's probably just the picture.

Edit: I just realized that they only make those in a 3" version and you said that's a 2.5" exit. Man, that is ENTIRELY too big for ANY 2.4l... and will KILL the scavenging effect on your exhaust. That's even too big for most modified SS/SC's... your exhaust is going to be flowing from a short wide 3" downpipe and try to cram that down a longer 2.5" pipe, which will cause unnecessary backpressure and is probably raping your torque, even if you tuned for it. Let alone if you bought the Magnaflow exhaust that they recommend for the 2.4l which is a 2.25" exhaust (same as GMPP uses/recommends). 2.5" is pushing it... but 3". On an N/A? Seriously? Are you running an aftermarket header? That's going to be doing more harm than good...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have the ZZP 2.5" Catless... and mine wasn't too short.

I wanna go back to the stock DP... this beotch is too loud... and I miss having tons of torque on the low-end.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's not the midlength DP is it? If so I can see why it wouldn't reach without the longer header to extend it to your catback. Mine (midlength) was a bit short until we got a bolt in it and took the air tool on it and it brought it flush against it. Maybe they welded the 3 bolt flange flex pipe (that works with the stock header) onto the midlength piping/cat by accident? That would also explain why it's not crimped.

It looks like the exit into the catback is wider than the piping before it... you didn't get a 3" DP with 2.5" exit somehow did you, or is it just the way the picture was taken. It's also very confusing because in the last picture it looks opposite, like the exit (mouth) is wider by the flange. I think that one's probably just the picture.

Edit: I just realized that they only make those in a 3" version and you said that's a 2.5" exit. Man, that is ENTIRELY too big for ANY 2.4l... and will KILL the scavenging effect on your exhaust. That's even too big for most modified SS/SC's... your exhaust is going to be flowing from a short wide 3" downpipe and try to cram that down a longer 2.5" pipe, which will cause unnecessary backpressure and is probably raping your torque, even if you tuned for it. Let alone if you bought the Magnaflow exhaust that they recommend for the 2.4l which is a 2.25" exhaust (same as GMPP uses/recommends). 2.5" is pushing it... but 3". On an N/A? Seriously? Are you running an aftermarket header? That's going to be doing more harm than good...
That is the D/P that was recommeded to me from CobaltSS.net. The inlet is 3" from the manifold, and 2.5" to bolt up to the catback. The bent to 2.5 is very smooth also. I've felt positive gains from this, nothing negitive.

I believe the midlength D/P is part of their Header/DP combo, right? Also part 16619 from Magnaflow is 2.5" and is the recommended kit for this car.

I have the ZZP 2.5" Catless... and mine wasn't too short.

I wanna go back to the stock DP... this beotch is too loud... and I miss having tons of torque on the low-end.
Weld a cat in it before you go back to that peice of junk stock D/P.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts