G5 Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys run the ZZP header and dp on your 2.2 G5? If so, how do you like that combo? And what size tubes did you go with on the header? I have been to zzp before with my GP GT. They do great work.

·
Registered
169 Posts
im going to get the ZZP header and dp from my friend. he was going to drop in his cobalt but he got in a car crash. so its just sitting in his room. he said he will sell it to me for 500 bucks full on exaust

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Full exhaust and header for 500 is cheap 8)

·
Premium Member
10,371 Posts
if you're getting the combo, i would suggest getting the 1 3/4" header and 2.5" downpipe, bolt in with a high flow cat.

no reason to go up to 3" only to go back to 2.5" at the coupler.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
^ agreed, 3inch you would start to accally lose low end power. And not always nessasary regain it on the high end.

All these civics ect that put 3" exhaust on has no concept how exhaust works, bigger isnt always better. Most cases its not

G

·
njg5gt said:
the only time i would consider putting 3" piping on a four banger would be for a turbo setup
Which I might be getting, lol.

The bigger the exhaust, the better the performance, but too big and your not getting enough backpressure and will lose performance, BIG TIME.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dre said:
^ agreed, 3inch you would start to accally lose low end power. And not always nessasary regain it on the high end.

All these civics ect that put 3" exhaust on has no concept how exhaust works, bigger isnt always better. Most cases its not
Yes thats very true you lose low end torque if theres too much backpressure running through the dp. Not a good idea to get something humongous.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gonedrivin said:
Dre said:

Yes thats very true you lose low end torque if theres too much backpressure running through the dp. Not a good idea to get something humongous.
Owww the old backpressure myth.

You don't want ANY backpressure, you want a balance exhaust gas velocity and capacity. To small and you’ll have backpressure through the roof, to large and you’ll kill your velocity and exhaust scavenging efficiency.

Exhaust scavenging - As exhaust moves through the exhaust system it cools, when a gas cools the molecules move closer together, (Same concept as a CAI) causing other molecules to fill in the space the contracting molecules create. This creates a suction like effect that effectively pulls the exhaust through the system.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
i would suggest a 1.5" header w/ a 2 1/4" dp which is what i'm doing. you wanna keep as close to your displacement as possible. Big is good for forced induction but if your doing all N/A mods, stay within your displacement peramenters.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
blackriderg6 said:
Gonedrivin said:
Dre said:

Owww the old backpressure myth.

You don't want ANY backpressure, you want a balance exhaust gas velocity and capacity. To small and you’ll have backpressure through the roof, to large and you’ll kill your velocity and exhaust scavenging efficiency.

Exhaust scavenging - As exhaust moves through the exhaust system it cools, when a gas cools the molecules move closer together, (Same concept as a CAI) causing other molecules to fill in the space the contracting molecules create. This creates a suction like effect that effectively pulls the exhaust through the system.
^ knows his sh*t :iluvu: LOL!!! jk, jk

·
Registered
162 Posts
underground said:
i would suggest a 1.5" header w/ a 2 1/4" dp which is what i'm doing. you wanna keep as close to your displacement as possible. Big is good for forced induction but if your doing all N/A mods, stay within your displacement peramenters.
For a N/A application I would go with 1" 3/8

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
njg5gt Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:28 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you're getting the combo, i would suggest getting the 1 3/4" header and 2.5" downpipe, bolt in with a high flow cat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know i'm still a "noob" here, but to the best of my knowledge a downpipe is a substitute for a cat. I've never heard of a header/downpipe/catylic combonation. I've been told downpipe applications are best for prep fo a turbo/sc or if your taking out your cat altogether. practically straight piping right from the header w/downpipe adds more hp/highend torque but has a nasty high end rapping sound.. like a mosquito.... i dunno if i'm right here but this is what i've been told by some mechanics....

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
njg5gt said:

The collector on the 1 3/4" header is 3" so you'll have to use a 3" to 2.5" DP anyways.

What is everyone on here going with? The 1.5" primaries to 2.5 collector or 1 3/4" to 3" then 2.5 back? I'm not sure if the latter would be overkill... I can't make up my mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts